Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #111
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty0824 View Post
I spoke with a guy today and after looking at the pitcure of my disc he said it is clearly something is 'dragging' the disc and put pressure on it which caused the judder. Normally it comes back after 1,500 miles but for me it only took 500 miles.

He suspect the uneven surface of wheels where it mates the hub is the culprit which could caused by wheel refurbishment. I bought the car used from a BMW dealer so it's highly possible they've done so prior to sell the car.

If this is the truth then it explained why the judder will come back with only disc skimming.

I've booked in for next week to have all four wheels check and front disc skimming, and will update how it goes. Hope we all get this problem sorted
I'll be curious about this as well because the previous owner of mine had the front passenger wheel refinished and my shudder always comes back between 1,000-1,500 miles as well. I've had them checked and everything balances and it's not bent anywhere, but maybe it's not completely flush against the hub for whatever reason. That would certainly cause some of the issues I would imagine. Let us know what you find!
      08-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #112
Swifty0824
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
I'll be curious about this as well because the previous owner of mine had the front passenger wheel refinished and my shudder always comes back between 1,000-1,500 miles as well. I've had them checked and everything balances and it's not bent anywhere, but maybe it's not completely flush against the hub for whatever reason. That would certainly cause some of the issues I would imagine. Let us know what you find!
Definitely, the guy does sound very knowledgable so hopefully he can sort it.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      08-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #113
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEM4 View Post
For some reason I can't see the image you've posted. The only way my pad deposits have been removed has been by driving with DSC fully off - that's all I can put it down to at the moment. Perhaps there's a problem with my car (and potentially similar/same issue with other cars) or perhaps I'm looking into this too much although it's been like it for some time now and this is the only thing that's been working for me. My pad deposits were coming from DS2500 pads btw - maybe I'm just unlucky!

I'll update after I've honed the rotors at the weekend :-)
I spoke with a guy today and after looking at the pitcure of my disc he said it is clearly something is 'dragging' the disc and put pressure on it which caused the judder. Normally it comes back after 1,500 miles but for me it only took 500 miles.

He suspect the uneven surface of wheels where it mates the hub is the culprit which could caused by wheel refurbishment. I bought the car used from a BMW dealer so it's highly possible they've done so prior to sell the car.

If this is the truth then it explained why the judder will come back with only disc skimming.

I've booked in for next week to have all four wheels check and front disc skimming, and will update how it goes. Hope we all get this problem sorted
Hmmmm very interesting. For those that have followed along I have used Oem pads and rotors and Oem pads with DS2500 pads and Stoptech rotors and DS2500 pads and every single time the judder happened. My current setup is I replaced the wheel hubs and got new Stoptech rotors and am using hawk street pads and had my calipers re built. So far the judder hasn't returned but only have about 500 miles on the clock so far but changing the hubs / caliper rebuild may have solved the problem.

I have also had my wheels refurbished so am curious to see what you hear back on this.
      08-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #114
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
For some reason I can't see the image you've posted. The only way my pad deposits have been removed has been by driving with DSC fully off - that's all I can put it down to at the moment. Perhaps there's a problem with my car (and potentially similar/same issue with other cars) or perhaps I'm looking into this too much although it's been like it for some time now and this is the only thing that's been working for me. My pad deposits were coming from DS2500 pads btw - maybe I'm just unlucky!

Also can you try and re post the photo because it didn't come through. Thanks!
      08-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #115
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I had serious brake judder and other related nonsense after a trackday. 80grit sandpaper did the trick. No skimming was required; the rotors might come out as "warped" if they check them because of the uneven surface caused by pad deposits. I have stock brakes.

Should also check the rotor thickness. Maximum wear is 1.6mm, minimum thickness 28.4mm.

Axial runout and subsequent vibrations under braking can also be caused by even the tiniest particle hedged in between the disc and the hub, or the wheel and the hub.
      08-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #116
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I had serious brake judder and other related nonsense after a trackday. 80grit sandpaper did the trick. No skimming was required; the rotors might come out as "warped" if they check them because of the uneven surface caused by pad deposits. I have stock brakes.

Should also check the rotor thickness. Maximum wear is 1.6mm, minimum thickness 28.4mm.

Axial runout and subsequent vibrations under braking can also be caused by even the tiniest particle hedged in between the disc and the hub, or the wheel and the hub.
That was going to be my next step is to clean the rotors myself and really scrub the hub/wheel mating surface to make sure everything is clean and even.

I won't have a chance to try that for a few weeks though.
      08-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #117
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Photo updated - let me know if you can see it now?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #118
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm very interesting. For those that have followed along I have used Oem pads and rotors and Oem pads with DS2500 pads and Stoptech rotors and DS2500 pads and every single time the judder happened. My current setup is I replaced the wheel hubs and got new Stoptech rotors and am using hawk street pads and had my calipers re built. So far the judder hasn't returned but only have about 500 miles on the clock so far but changing the hubs / caliper rebuild may have solved the problem.

I have also had my wheels refurbished so am curious to see what you hear back on this.
Based on Swagon's reply I now believe the brake judder is mainly caused by pad deposit on the disc, but reason for this varies - uneven mating between disc & hub and/or wheel & hub can lead to this since it's 'dragging' the disc.

Without rectifying the latter, no doubt the former will come back in a short time e.g. 1,000 miles. I checked the disc skimming guy's website he skims the disc while it's still on the car - by doing this it should remove the deposit and also rules out the tiny uneveness between disc and hub, then as long as the wheel mates the hub evenly everything should be fine.

I'll try to take as many pictures as I can next week and hopefully have a permanent solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #119
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Photo updated - let me know if you can see it now?
Yes can see it now, thanks!
      08-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #120
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Alright, update...

THE VIBRATIONS AND BRAKE JUDDER ARE BACK.

All it took was a Saturday morning backroad drive, I don't think I was even really going fast and braking too hard... I was on a public road after all and it is not possible to reach temperatures as high as on a race track. The pads also squeal now.
      08-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #121
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

We should do a class action lawsuit lol this is ridiculous
      08-23-2020, 03:05 AM   #122
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Alright, update...

All it took was a Saturday morning backroad drive, I don't think I was even really going fast and braking too hard... I was on a public road after all and it is not possible to reach temperatures as high as on a race track. The pads also squeal now.
Sorry to hear mate, I would assume if you sandpaper the disc again you could cure it temporarily, but then it must be something wrong that caused the excessive pad deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:29 AM   #123
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Alright, update...

Sorry to hear mate, I would assume if you sandpaper the disc again you could cure it temporarily, but then it must be something wrong that caused the excessive pad deposit.
Innit. I've no idea what the hell is going on at this point.

Thought of these possible scenarios:

1. The sanding was not good enough, I may have just glazed the discs enough to be judder-free for driving round town but they've still got brake pad deposit on them

2. The brake pads are toast, I mean I've checked them and they looked okay to me but again I'm no expert

3. My driving style. But I don't see why I didn't get any vibrations in the Alps last summer where the brakes got definitely beaten up way more than yesterday.

This is doing me head in 😫
      08-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #124
sam_m2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi guys,

Have been having the same problem for a while now was good to see its not just me!]

So I bought my car around a year ago - when I bought the car (it was used from a private seller) the brakes where not great and was coming up to needing replacement so I ordered x4 Pagid disks and pads all round and changed the brake fluid. For the first few hundred miles was fine then the judder came back.

When I purchased my car the previous owner had fitted H&R lowering springs and also Eibach spacers - For some reason in my head I am thinking it is the spacers causing the issue or do you think this would not be the case? Under braking when the brakes are even remotely warm get a horrible judder/vibration - usually when braking from slightly higher speeds (60/70mph+).

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #125
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Innit. I've no idea what the hell is going on at this point.

Thought of these possible scenarios:

1. The sanding was not good enough, I may have just glazed the discs enough to be judder-free for driving round town but they've still got brake pad deposit on them

2. The brake pads are toast, I mean I've checked them and they looked okay to me but again I'm no expert

3. My driving style. But I don't see why I didn't get any vibrations in the Alps last summer where the brakes got definitely beaten up way more than yesterday.

This is doing me head in 😫
My brake judder only occur between 40-60 mph to driving around town no problem at all, is yours the same?

Well before the M4 I had a m140i, same caliper but different pad and non-drilled disc, done 29,000 miles in it no judders at all and all my previous cars don't suffer from this as well - so I'd definitely rule out no. 3 on your list.

I'm still leaning towards the fact that you did a good sanding job so the disc is smooth but some remain issues make the disc uneven again in a very short time.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #126
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_m2 View Post
Hi guys,

Have been having the same problem for a while now was good to see its not just me!]

So I bought my car around a year ago - when I bought the car (it was used from a private seller) the brakes where not great and was coming up to needing replacement so I ordered x4 Pagid disks and pads all round and changed the brake fluid. For the first few hundred miles was fine then the judder came back.

When I purchased my car the previous owner had fitted H&R lowering springs and also Eibach spacers - For some reason in my head I am thinking it is the spacers causing the issue or do you think this would not be the case? Under braking when the brakes are even remotely warm get a horrible judder/vibration - usually when braking from slightly higher speeds (60/70mph+).

Thanks guys
Hello mate I'm in the UK as well and I booked my car in already (see my previous reply) if it solves the problem for good I'll pm you the guy's contact.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #127
RobEM4
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Hi all, I said I would update after I'd honed the rotors - one week late but better late than never ;-)

So, there were still heavy pad deposits on the rear face that obviously I couldn't see till I had removed the rotors. Honed the rotors using a "Flex-hone for rotors" which I imported to the UK from the US. Fitted Ferodo DS1.11 pads, carried out bedding in procedure and then tested : absolutely ZERO brake judder.

I will be driving with DSC off for the next month and then I'm over to the Nürburgring for a few days to test them on track. Assuming all is good still (and I don't crash the car lol), I'll check the rotors, change back to road pads and then drive around with DSC on for 1k miles or so. If the judder then returns, I'll be speaking with BMW.

I've uploaded 2 pics before and 2 pics after using the flex-hone.

For those of you that are still experiencing judder, I suggest you try the DSC off testing; just be careful! Would be interested to hear your experiences of trying this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #128
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Hi all, I said I would update after I'd honed the rotors - one week late but better late than never ;-)

So, there were still heavy pad deposits on the rear face that obviously I couldn't see till I had removed the rotors. Honed the rotors using a "Flex-hone for rotors" which I imported to the UK from the US. Fitted Ferodo DS1.11 pads, carried out bedding in procedure and then tested : absolutely ZERO brake judder.

I will be driving with DSC off for the next month and then I'm over to the Nürburgring for a few days to test them on track. Assuming all is good still (and I don't crash the car lol), I'll check the rotors, change back to road pads and then drive around with DSC on for 1k miles or so. If the judder then returns, I'll be speaking with BMW.

For those of you that are still experiencing judder, I suggest you try the DSC off testing; just be careful! Would be interested to hear your experiences of trying this.
Thank you for the update mate and glad you solve the issue (hopefully for good!)

Mine is not so lucky tho - upon inspection at the disc skimming guy, an impact mark on the passenger front disk was found so not sure what really happened but the car is back to the dealership already, which completely ruined my trip to North Wales. I’m now attacking all these nice roads with a 520d loaner .

I will be receiving calls from the dealership tomorrow and I’ll see what they found. Anyway they’ve ordered brand new front disc and pads but I wonder if the judder could be caused by rear disc as well based on your picture?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #129
RobEM4
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if the judder could be caused by rear disc as well based on your picture?
I've honed rotors and changed pads all round but I'm pretty sure it was just the fronts making it judder. As i said tho, I'm still putting this down to DSC at the moment. There was no reason for those pad marks to have been on the disc as I've only done road driving since changing the rotors and putting the DS2500 pads on.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #130
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
What's weird about those pics is that they appear to be roughly the size of the pad itself -- as if the pad were left touching the hot rotor while stationary, leaving a deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #131
RobEM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
Quote:
What's weird about those pics is that they appear to be roughly the size of the pad itself -- as if the pad were left touching the hot rotor while stationary, leaving a deposit.
Definitely, completely agree. I'm not driving round town making the brakes that hot without 'some unwanted assistance' from the car is my thoughts. The pad marks were constantly appearing when DSC was on, and were slowly disappearing with DSC off. I never sit with my foot on the brake either and my daily drive is only 3 miles each way which barely gets the engine up to temperature, yet the pad marks kept appearing previously 🤷. Hence, DSC off for me at the moment. I feel I need to prove this before taking it to BMW under warranty to get them to investigate properly rather than just changing rotors and pads
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #132
Swifty0824
Rep

A quick update guys.

Car's back from dealership - brand new front disc and pads, again.

The dealer said it's faulty disc caused judder, all other things are fine but I highly doubt what have they checked.

What's really interesting is the dealer didn't even recognize my DS2500 pads until I ask them to hand it back to me lol.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I'll be reporting back in 500 miles no matter it judders or not.
Appreciate 0