proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Nicky_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
20A201 fault code

Just drove my F80 for the first time in a few months after pulling it out of storage and got the 20A201 fault code with a CEL. Does anyone have experience with this code? I was able to determine it’s due to the intercooler coolant reservoir being empty but I checked this and it has coolant. Could it just be low or could this be more concern and possibly a failing water pump? No visible leaks and I’m running an aftermarket CTS intercooler. Any insight would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
shaolinx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Normally a refill to full would make it go away. Fill it up and reset the error to see if it comes back? If it does come back, and you still have coolant, then maybe you have a bad senor. If its empty or lower then there might be a leak or some other issue.

I had this a month ago. Took it in the dealer since i was worried about intercooler leak. They did a pressure test with no problems found. So I think it was just bubbles inside the system. You could try run the pump to remove the bubbles:

Switch the ignition on.
Switch on low-beam headlight.
Set heater to maximum temperature and turn blower down to lowest speed.
FES (driving experience switch) must not be in ECO PRO!
Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor. Engine must not be started.
The bleeding procedure was started by pressing the accelerator pedal and takes approx. 11 mins. (the electric coolant pump was activated and switches off automatically after approx. 11 mins.).
Then adjust/refill fluid level in the coolant expansion tank to maximum.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
Nicky_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the detailed response! I did notice a hiss when I opened the cap after having the car running for a few minutes so it seems there is pressure. I’ll top off the reservoir and provide an update if it comes back but I cleared the cel with bootmod3
Appreciate 0