Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-19-2021, 10:10 PM   #2267
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Last edited by kaiv; 05-27-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #2268
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Update:
Well the rattle wasn't coming from the gasket, but I changed it out anyway since I paid the shop for their time. However, we found the reason for the rattle -another broken tab/weld that connects the two EL pipes together near the down pipe... maybe AA uses elmers glue to hold this particular weld together because this is the second time it has happened in sub 1000 miles on both my brother's F8X and mine. anyhow we contacted AA the first time and they sent us to Autotalent to get the weld taken care of, so I'll likely reach out again and let them know the same issue occurred to me as well.

For the mean time I just pushed the tab and bent it out of the way.. part of me doesn't think it's necessary but part of me wants a relatively new part to be.. relatively new. We'll see. For those getting rattles with the EL I'd check that weld.

Sounds great though and don't regret it one bit
Going to check this as well - retightened the exhaust at the cats after my track day but still getting phantom rattles. I also noticed that after getting it pretty hot on the track, it must have moved slightly as my muffler is slightly out of position. Probably just have to unclamp and reclamp everything
      05-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #2269
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
For me when it comes to sound on a stock S55, it's equal-length or bust. It's disappointing to hear that there is some issues with quality control, especially on a $1500 midpipe that is made out of steel. Let us know what Active Autowerke's response is, thanks.
Active already responded to the first broken tab and found a dealer/partner they work with (auto talent) that can weld it back. My brother and I just haven't had the time to head there since we work 65 miles away, and work mon-fri. hard to take a day off to handle it right now.

Active has never given me any problems in terms of service - they are stand up and within 2 days of sending them emails / phone conversations they helped me out. They also were willing to figure out what my rattle issues were over the phone, can't complain - sh!t happens. They eventually will correct the weak welds I feel. Doesn't make sense for them to keep having this issue reoccur and paying shops on their dime under warranty. Looking under the car, without the welds, I held and tried to wiggle the pipes and hit them with a mallet; seemed pretty strong and stable due to the multiple hangers the pipes use, I don't really think it'd be an issue without that welded connecting tab. It was just the source of the annoying rattle I got from around 1-2k.

And agree, it's equal length or bust on the S55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Going to check this as well - retightened the exhaust at the cats after my track day but still getting phantom rattles. I also noticed that after getting it pretty hot on the track, it must have moved slightly as my muffler is slightly out of position. Probably just have to unclamp and reclamp everything
The muffler itself shouldn't really move because the rear axle-back has fixed mounting positions. But I don't know what exhaust setup you are running so it's hard to say. My dinan axle back can't really move because the position it's at for the hangars are fixed. However, when the exhaust is hot the metal can expand and everything can move back a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #2270
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The muffler itself shouldn't really move because the rear axle-back has fixed mounting positions. But I don't know what exhaust setup you are running so it's hard to say. My dinan axle back can't really move because the position it's at for the hangars are fixed. However, when the exhaust is hot the metal can expand and everything can move back a little.
Yeah I think it just expanded where the clamps are connected to the muffler and settled in a slightly different position. My muffler isn't way off, just off angle a bit. This isn't the first time the pipe moved on me, so probably just needs to have a quick reposition and retighten of the clamps
      05-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #2271
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
Quote:
For me when it comes to sound on a stock S55, it's equal-length or bust. It's disappointing to hear that there is some issues with quality control, especially on a $1500 midpipe that is made out of steel. Let us know what Active Autowerke's response is, thanks.
Active already responded to the first broken tab and found a dealer/partner they work with (auto talent) that can weld it back. My brother and I just haven't had the time to head there since we work 65 miles away, and work mon-fri. hard to take a day off to handle it right now.

Active has never given me any problems in terms of service - they are stand up and within 2 days of sending them emails / phone conversations they helped me out. They also were willing to figure out what my rattle issues were over the phone, can't complain - sh!t happens. They eventually will correct the weak welds I feel. Doesn't make sense for them to keep having this issue reoccur and paying shops on their dime under warranty. Looking under the car, without the welds, I held and tried to wiggle the pipes and hit them with a mallet; seemed pretty strong and stable due to the multiple hangers the pipes use, I don't really think it'd be an issue without that welded connecting tab. It was just the source of the annoying rattle I got from around 1-2k.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It's weird because I get a weird rattle at low rpm 1-2k too, but on stock non zcp setup and always wondered what's causing it, just never looked into it. Now I'm thinking it might be the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #2272
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
It's weird because I get a weird rattle at low rpm 1-2k too, but on stock non zcp setup and always wondered what's causing it, just never looked into it. Now I'm thinking it might be the muffler?
Stock everything including stock mid pipe? Doubt it's anything we described then. Could be muffler valves or something, it's ultimately too hard to rule out using a forum - must go under car and inspect.

I was trying to help the people that had rattles w/ the EL pipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #2273
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
Quote:
Stock everything including stock mid pipe? Doubt it's anything we described then. Could be muffler valves or something, it's ultimately too hard to rule out using a forum - must go under car and inspect.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah my whole exhaust setup is oem. Been debating on ordering a AA EL or just getting a custom one done with a "u" pipe like the OP has set up instead of dealing with back orders and other issues. Still gotta hear one in person
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #2274
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Yeah my whole exhaust setup is oem. Been debating on ordering a AA EL or just getting a custom one done with a "u" pipe like the OP has set up instead of dealing with back orders and other issues. Still gotta hear one in person
Bro, seems like you are going to have plenty of time to hear one. All orders keep getting pushed weeks or months. Ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #2275
LuborF82
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Hi guys having a little rant here but I’m Just seeing if anyone here has had issues like me with their Valvetronic design EL exhaust? Been over a year since I ordered it (AA didn’t have their EL yet) got it in November and fitment was disgraceful, tips sticking out 3 inches, pipes hitting the diff, rattles from the valve and pipes not even sitting level it made the car look cheap (been to 2 exhaust shops and they said it’s like it’s not made for the car) and had massive amount of rasp and drone aswell. Been in contact with them constantly since and they have admitted they never did a final fit on their car when making it and have been promising to send me a new “version 2” back section (aswell as others who bought it) in January I had a call with Austin from valvetronic personally saying that was the plan and wanted to help me out. But yesterday they told me after I emailed them they aren’t doing it anymore and want me to take it to a exhaust shop to make changes and they will compensate me for it, which isn’t right after the money iv spent on this system and time iv already wasted. but I’m hoping there is others like me chasing them up and putting pressure on them to come through with there promises. I unable to leave any reviews on there web page either so be aware if you are looking into their exhaust system. Thanks guys
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2021, 11:42 PM   #2276
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuborF82 View Post
Hi guys having a little rant here but I’m Just seeing if anyone here has had issues like me with their Valvetronic design EL exhaust? Been over a year since I ordered it (AA didn’t have their EL yet) got it in November and fitment was disgraceful, tips sticking out 3 inches, pipes hitting the diff, rattles from the valve and pipes not even sitting level it made the car look cheap (been to 2 exhaust shops and they said it’s like it’s not made for the car) and had massive amount of rasp and drone aswell. Been in contact with them constantly since and they have admitted they never did a final fit on their car when making it and have been promising to send me a new “version 2” back section (aswell as others who bought it) in January I had a call with Austin from valvetronic personally saying that was the plan and wanted to help me out. But yesterday they told me after I emailed them they aren’t doing it anymore and want me to take it to a exhaust shop to make changes and they will compensate me for it, which isn’t right after the money iv spent on this system and time iv already wasted. but I’m hoping there is others like me chasing them up and putting pressure on them to come through with there promises. I unable to leave any reviews on there web page either so be aware if you are looking into their exhaust system. Thanks guys

Yep. Fits like shit. Here's the one they sent me for sending them my prototype. Same story:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1718

Long story short is I wouldn't count on them to change anything, and if they do, you won't be getting it anytime soon.
      05-22-2021, 02:13 AM   #2277
LuborF82
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Yep. Fits like shit. Here's the one they sent me for sending them my prototype. Same story:

Long story short is I wouldn't count on them to change anything, and if they do, you won't be getting it anytime soon.
That’s extremely disappointing for a company that claims to be car enthusiast and “manufacturer the world’s greatest exhausts” . I don’t trust that once I do the necessary modifications they will compensate me at all. I’m still going to try and do my best for them to fix it or a refund.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #2278
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
pretty good video comparing an S55, S55 w/ EL, N55 and so forth starting at 3:30 mark:

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #2279
kaiv
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

One look at their website and you can tell it's amateur hour.
Brand new exhaust sitting on bare concrete floor, some polished parts, some not, photo taken with a potato...

"100% CAD designed and acoustics tested for an unparalleled sound experience." Yeah right
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #2280
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Quote:
Hi guys having a little rant here but I'm Just seeing if anyone here has had issues like me with their Valvetronic design EL exhaust? Been over a year since I ordered it (AA didn't have their EL yet) got it in November and fitment was disgraceful, tips sticking out 3 inches, pipes hitting the diff, rattles from the valve and pipes not even sitting level it made the car look cheap (been to 2 exhaust shops and they said it's like it's not made for the car) and had massive amount of rasp and drone aswell. Been in contact with them constantly since and they have admitted they never did a final fit on their car when making it and have been promising to send me a new "version 2" back section (aswell as others who bought it) in January I had a call with Austin from valvetronic personally saying that was the plan and wanted to help me out. But yesterday they told me after I emailed them they aren't doing it anymore and want me to take it to a exhaust shop to make changes and they will compensate me for it, which isn't right after the money iv spent on this system and time iv already wasted. but I'm hoping there is others like me chasing them up and putting pressure on them to come through with there promises. I unable to leave any reviews on there web page either so be aware if you are looking into their exhaust system. Thanks guys

Quote:

Brand new exhaust sitting on bare concrete floor, some polished parts, some not, photo taken with a potato...

"100% CAD designed and acoustics tested for an unparalleled sound experience." Yeah right
There's also next to no true "in the wild" customers of Valvetronic on BMW or M models. Only two I see that are the most vocal about them on social media like Instagram are paid influencers of Valvetronic. Go figure.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #2281
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post

I don't mind something being "amateur hour." Every company starts somewhere, and if it wasn't for competition, then we'd never see innovation and the big established companies could charge whatever they want (seems like they already to to be honest).

Yeah, there's marketing fluff, but it's pretty standard for the industry of aftermarket parts.

It appears as if their other offerings are decent for what they are. But given the unconventional packaging and design of equal length exhausts, it requires extra effort and attention to detail to make sure fitment is right. They failed in this specific case, but that doesn't mean all of their products are bad per se.

I'm not defending them by any means. The F80 product launch was awful. But I'm not opposed to small companies trying to provide something new if it's done right.
      05-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #2282
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

I have a M4 with DPs + AA EL (res) + stock muffler. I have BM3 and have valves open in sport.

I love the sound but there's some drone at ~3k rpm. Is this normal or should I recheck install? It's not unbearable but if no drone is expected I would rather recheck.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:34 AM   #2283
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksDeRussian View Post
I have a M4 with DPs + AA EL (res) + stock muffler. I have BM3 and have valves open in sport.

I love the sound but there's some drone at ~3k rpm. Is this normal or should I recheck install? It's not unbearable but if no drone is expected I would rather recheck.
I have stock DPs but non res EL and an MPE and the exhaust is the most audible around 3k when not at WOT

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #2284
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksDeRussian View Post

Same here.
It drones at 3k when cold with the valves open. It almost completely goes away when the exhaust is fully warm. It is completely gone when the valves are fully closed (except at 3k in 6th at 80MPH), so it is not caused by the exhaust contacting the body. It's just what this midpipe does.

I have stock everything besides the AA resonated midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #2285
kaiv
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't mind something being "amateur hour." Every company starts somewhere, and if it wasn't for competition, then we'd never see innovation and the big established companies could charge whatever they want (seems like they already to to be honest).

Yeah, there's marketing fluff, but it's pretty standard for the industry of aftermarket parts.

It appears as if their other offerings are decent for what they are. But given the unconventional packaging and design of equal length exhausts, it requires extra effort and attention to detail to make sure fitment is right. They failed in this specific case, but that doesn't mean all of their products are bad per se.

I'm not defending them by any means. The F80 product launch was awful. But I'm not opposed to small companies trying to provide something new if it's done right.
The marketing fluff being standard in the industry doesn't make this any more palatable to me. Be better. Make a good product first then market it should be the approach.

Unlike the AA pipe, there is nothing unconventional about the Valvetronic exhaust. A muffler shop could whip up something like that for a third of the price.

FWIW I don't disagree with any of the generalities you've brought up but let's call a spade a spade.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #2286
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Bro, seems like you are going to have plenty of time to hear one. All orders keep getting pushed weeks or months. Ridiculous
anyone know if the m2 EL is the same as the f8x EL? just saw on actives website M2 EL is shipping next week but f8x will ship in a month...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #2287
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
anyone know if the m2 EL is the same as the f8x EL? just saw on actives website M2 EL is shipping next week but f8x will ship in a month...
No, it's not the same. It's shorter than the F8x pipe.
Appreciate 1
six75LT916.50
      05-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #2288
Rabidwooz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
Ship in a month? Try 3+. I placed my order 04MAR21 and I'm still waiting for it to ship...
Appreciate 0