Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
jav1
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Help Please? Coding used headlights to car (f80)

Hi Guys - sorry but I'm striking out with search or any good basic understanding of how to do this. I could really use some help.

Problem: recently replaced adaptive LED headlights on my sons 2015 F80 M3 (due to collision damage/theft). We bought used headlights (complete with all modules). The car came with adaptive LED headlights and these used units (including the modules) are the "correct" ones for the car. This isn't an upgrade, just a direct replacement. Using the old modules isn't possible as they went missing so we don't have them.

The problem is- we can't get these lights to work correctly on the car. We know they work because I can connect to them using my foxwell scanner and make them work... which is to say, we can communicate with them, turn them on, move them around, shape the beams etc. BUT- as soon as we shut the car off after the initialize and adjustment using the foxwell, they again stop working again and we get a "headlight not coded to vehicle" error.

I got setup with esys (thanks to great help received here) thinking this is what we needed to "code the headlight to the vehicle", but no one seems to know exactly what needs to be done to get them to work on the car.

I've read one post that suggested the headlight modules need to first be "initialized" then the FEM needs to be coded.... but it's been suggested that esys may not be able to initialize the modules? I may need ISTA for that?

Any help appreciated as I've already purchased the Foxwell thinking it could do it, then setup esys and bought the cable (which wasn't easy for this old guy)... and I'm still fumbling around unsure of what I really need to do to get these working. I've read every guide and tried to learn every darn acronym and I'm still lost. The Dealer is my last resort but I'd really like to learn how to do this myself and will happily document it for the group once I understand it.... but right now- I'm really not getting the process.

Help? Please?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
jav1
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just to help out the next guy... I was not able to do this with Esys. Had to go to the dealer and they struggled with it. They had to "recode the entire car" whatever that means but it took 3 hours of programming.

Everything is working properly now.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Nardooof80
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post
Just to help out the next guy... I was not able to do this with Esys. Had to go to the dealer and they struggled with it. They had to "recode the entire car" whatever that means but it took 3 hours of programming.

Everything is working properly now.
How much did this cost ? If you remember ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
F80manz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 Comp 6MT

If anyone needs to do this in the future see the below post. Had to do a similar thing when replacing a module.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1968059
Appreciate 0