proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-07-2024, 05:06 PM   #1
Weißbier
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 DCT

Icon Passenger Side DRL Fading...

Noticed a few days ago the outermost DRL on the passenger side was yellowing/dimming. I found a couple of older threads with other members having the same issue. I replaced the old DRL module with a brand-new unit, but the problem persists. Looks like I will need an entirely new headlight, but my warranty is expired, so it will cost me roughly $2,500. Kind of a hard pill to swallow knowing what else that amount of money can be used for.

I'm kind of mulling over whether I should just leave it be since it's only cosmetic and not many people will likely notice it anyway. My OCD is telling me to just fork out the money though. Decisions decisions.

Also, the DRLs were coded to 80% by me a year ago. I recoded to 100% to see if that would somehow "fix" the issue, but it was wishful thinking. I've since coded back to 80%.

I noticed ECS carries these lights and offer a lifetime replacement if it ends up having the same issue again, so I might go that route. You guys think my crap light has any value despite the fading DRL? It works fine otherwise. Perhaps I can sell it at a steep discount (compared to a perfect unit) to help offset the cost of the new unit.

Threads from users with same issue:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746434

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1962494

Pics:
Attached Images

04-08-2024, 01:33 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Valeo also sells OEM headlights, cheaper, they're the supplier to BMW for these LCI2 headlights.

But if the Ikons say "BMW" anywhere on the headlight like my pre-LCIs do, then the Valeos won't have it so beware of that.
      04-08-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weißbier View Post
Noticed a few days ago the outermost DRL on the passenger side was yellowing/dimming. I found a couple of older threads with other members having the same issue. I replaced the old DRL module with a brand-new unit, but the problem persists. Looks like I will need an entirely new headlight, but my warranty is expired, so it will cost me roughly $2,500. Kind of a hard pill to swallow knowing what else that amount of money can be used for.

I'm kind of mulling over whether I should just leave it be since it's only cosmetic and not many people will likely notice it anyway. My OCD is telling me to just fork out the money though. Decisions decisions.

Also, the DRLs were coded to 80% by me a year ago. I recoded to 100% to see if that would somehow "fix" the issue, but it was wishful thinking. I've since coded back to 80%.

I noticed ECS carries these lights and offer a lifetime replacement if it ends up having the same issue again, so I might go that route. You guys think my crap light has any value despite the fading DRL? It works fine otherwise. Perhaps I can sell it at a steep discount (compared to a perfect unit) to help offset the cost of the new unit.

Threads from users with same issue:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746434

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1962494

Pics:
I prefer buying things at FCPEuro than ECS because I hear mixed things about ECS.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mw-63117478160

Still expensive but ECS only recently offered Lifetime replacements and FCPEuro is supposed to have better Customer Service. There is also a difference between FCP and ECS where FCP is "When you need a replacement" vs ECS where the item has to be "fully used or failed".

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 05:16 PM   #4
Weißbier
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I prefer buying things at FCPEuro than ECS because I hear mixed things about ECS.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mw-63117478160

Still expensive but ECS only recently offered Lifetime replacements and FCPEuro is supposed to have better Customer Service. There is also a difference between FCP and ECS where FCP is "When you need a replacement" vs ECS where the item has to be "fully used or failed".
Yeah good call. FCP Euro might be my best bet.
      04-08-2024, 05:30 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Ocd.It doesnt look 2500 bad.😁
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:35 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I think we're going to start seeing these fail left and right unfortunately. I was able to get both headlights replaced on my CS right before the warranty expired, but not hopeful for another 3-4 years down the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:38 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I think we're going to start seeing these fail left and right unfortunately. I was able to get both headlights replaced on my CS right before the warranty expired, but not hopeful for another 3-4 years down the line.
Did you code your headlights? How old were the headlights before they failed and did you use the car often?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:42 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Did you code your headlights? How old were the headlights before they failed and did you use the car often?
No, I never did anything to them. DRLs started fading on both sides, M4 CS with 19k miles on it. I had both headlights replaced under BMW factory warranty during the last month of coverage, very lucky. They are crystal clear now too, no 19k miles of pitting on the lenses.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0