Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

01-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #243
CYA CFA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 xComp

... so not to be too OCD about it, but has anyone found a nice little zippered pouch (or repurposed camera case, perhaps) to store the flash tuner and cable in that little cubby to the left of the steering wheel? Because the box it came in is just a little too big for that.

And before you all flame me for asking the question I fully acknowledge that this will not be of pivotal importance for the vast majority.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #244
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3 & '23 G05 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYA CFA View Post
... so not to be too OCD about it, but has anyone found a nice little zippered pouch (or repurposed camera case, perhaps) to store the flash tuner and cable in that little cubby to the left of the steering wheel? Because the box it came in is just a little too big for that.

And before you all flame me for asking the question I fully acknowledge that this will not be of pivotal importance for the vast majority.
That’s actually a great idea. I don’t use that cubby for anything anyway.
I have a headphone soft case that should work. Go to Ross or something and look in the makeup aisles?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #245
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

And to that note, I wish the OBD cable it came with was a bit longer
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x428.50
      01-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #246
CYA CFA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
And to that note, I wish the OBD cable it came with was a bit longer
Yes, the cable is definitely shorter than it ought to be. Ideally, I'd like to just leave it on the passenger seat while it does it's thing, rather than cradling it in terror for fear that I inadvertently tap the screen or knock the cord out and brick the car.

Good call on the makeup bag; I'll check out Sephora or something. Will try to fit in my Carly adapter in there as well. If I find a good match I'll post a SKU.

Last edited by CYA CFA; 01-02-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #247
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:

I use a Portable Hard Drive Case to store my Cable+Tablet in my Glovebox and it works out great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q59EQ3C...e-45b207f2ee03

I also purchased a flat 3ft OBD cable extender.

https://www.amazon.com/16pin-Angled-...flat+obd+cable
      01-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #248
CYA CFA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I use a Portable Hard Drive Case to store my Cable+Tablet in my Glovebox and it works out great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q59EQ3C...e-45b207f2ee03

I also purchased a flat 3ft OBD cable extender.

https://www.amazon.com/16pin-Angled-...flat+obd+cable
Thanks, that's perfect!
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x428.50
      01-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #249
domino_z
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Keen for updates on how the turbo upgrade is coming along
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #250
CarBahn Autoworks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
When is stage 2 ready for M2C?

Will factory matching warranty be available for it?

What parts will be included with it?

Price range?

When u say big turbo upgrade/how big and I'm assuming a fuel setup will be required - injectors, pump, injection, etc...?
Stage 1 (software only) in development for M2C, Stage 2 will come some time after that.
Factory matching option will be available for all stages of upgrades for all models in our lineup.
Will need to get into development to say about included components and price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Will update as we make progress. Turbos and software are in the test car and waiting for the switchable map box to be finished.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #251
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBahn Autoworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
When is stage 2 ready for M2C?

Will factory matching warranty be available for it?

What parts will be included with it?

Price range?

When u say big turbo upgrade/how big and I'm assuming a fuel setup will be required - injectors, pump, injection, etc...?
Stage 1 (software only) in development for M2C, Stage 2 will come some time after that.
Factory matching option will be available for all stages of upgrades for all models in our lineup.
Will need to get into development to say about included components and price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Will update as we make progress. Turbos and software are in the test car and waiting for the switchable map box to be finished.
Estimated timeframe?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #252
Whyte_Diamonds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

For those who've installed the stage 1, I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.
M Performance / Active Autowerke / RKP Carbon Fiber / Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber / PSM Dynamics Carbon Fiber / DINAN Stage 3 / Evolution of Speed / Evolution Racewerks / Wagner Tuning / Supreme Power / IND Distribution
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #253
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle10 View Post
For those who've installed the stage 1, I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.
I guess I can chime in.
I haven’t had much seat time with this tune and I don’t have a baseline dyno to confirm any claims, nor have I used or ridden in any car with any other tunes for this platform. With that out of the way, I can tell you that the increase is noticeable, has smooth delivery, and the snap crackle pop of the burbles is tame but noticeable from the drivers seat. I’m sure it’s much more pronounced from someone behind me.

The tune was delivered quickly and installed without issue. I used a BMW Li-Ion charger just to be sure I didn’t create any other issues, needlessly.

My logic for this tune is that:
- Warranty for piece of mind. I’m more risk adverse as I age and I don’t need more complications in life
- Tune developed with factory or stock components (cats, plugs, etc.)
- Tune developed by Steve Dinan. He still has cred without the “Dinan” brand name
- I like being different

Don’t get me wrong, I’m waiting to see what a stage 2 will bring and will probably upgrade when released and others have worked out small kinks. The BM3 tune with custom tuning for ethanol sounds pretty attractive and I know I won’t be the fastest kid on the block without it but that’s ok.
Appreciate 4
ssgm1x428.50
minn1914524.50
Swish0482.00
      01-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #254
brad-cam
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, E46 M3, F12 640, F80

Similar feedback from me so far, not much seat time, but very noticeable, especially onset of torque from part throttle, such as aggressive throttle in 2nd gear at about 3k rpm. Scary (good scary) torque, traction control going crazy and the rear end getting very loose which I don't remember it doing prior to the tune under these same conditions. Flashing the car was straightforward, though still made me nervous - it completed without incident in about 20 minutes. I also kept a charger on it during this period though not sure that was necessary or not.

I was driving it downtown, traffic light to light and stop sign to stop sign, so lots of slow starts and I could swear the off-idle tip-in isn't as smooth as stock. There was some clutch chatter that may be just my lack of smoothness balancing clutch and throttle under these conditions, but I really think it might not be as smooth as stock in this regard.

Generally I'm pleased with it so far. I don't need this extra power, but I pursued it to be different and because I like to playing with technology
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #255
CYA CFA
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve only put about 120 miles on since installing the tune about a month ago, but my initial impressions are as follows:

Flashing was straightforward and uneventful; I didn’t use a charger.

Power is ample. It’s difficult to fully appreciate while running snow tires on frozen roads, but all in all I have no concerns there.

Curiously, burbles are present to a limited extent on the non-burble tune. Nothing obnoxious, but certainly noticeable.

The throttle tip-in issue that brad-cam alluded to earlier is real and bothersome, though. I find that it initially bogs downs from a standstill to the point where I’m often not sure if I’m in gear or not. The revs drop briefly from idle when I attempt to set off, then surge slightly with no forward motion, and eventually the car snaps forward (nothing, nothing, GO!). This makes parallel parking in tight spots an ordeal. That said, I understand from the commendably responsive folks at Carbahn that a modified GTS throttle map offering better pedal response is being tested and will likely be available soon.

TL;DR: happy overall, but a couple of wrinkles to be ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #256
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only put about 120 miles on since installing the tune about a month ago, but my initial impressions are as follows:

Flashing was straightforward and uneventful; I didn’t use a charger.

Power is ample. It’s difficult to fully appreciate while running snow tires on frozen roads, but all in all I have no concerns there.

Curiously, burbles are present to a limited extent on the non-burble tune. Nothing obnoxious, but certainly noticeable.

The throttle tip-in issue that brad-cam alluded to earlier is real and bothersome, though. I find that it initially bogs downs from a standstill to the point where I’m often not sure if I’m in gear or not. The revs drop briefly from idle when I attempt to set off, then surge slightly with no forward motion, and eventually the car snaps forward (nothing, nothing, GO!). This makes parallel parking in tight spots an ordeal. That said, I understand from the commendably responsive folks at Carbahn that a modified GTS throttle map offering better pedal response is being tested and will likely be available soon.

TL;DR: happy overall, but a couple of wrinkles to be ironed out.
Im Happy so far. I am about 2000 miles into it and happy overall with the platform/tune/support/performance. It is very comparable performance wise to other platforms. Their support is top notch too.
In addition, I was told by support that they are aware of throttle sensitivity and that they are working on an update to make it more user- friendly. I also got the Burbles and Start up Roar. With exhaust flaps open the burbles are noticable but they are not the Snap Crackle and Pop type (thank god). It sounds more like a conservative ZCP burble (which i like)...Hope this helps
      01-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #257
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Yes - we are in development now. Expecting to have a product to offer early January.
Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #258
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Yes - we are in development now. Expecting to have a product to offer early January.
I’m so pumped for this. Take my money!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #259
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Maybe being nitpicky, but if in stock trim the F80 powertrain loss is 50hp, why is there more power train loss (60hp) after the car is tuned?

Shouldnt the amount of power needed to move the wheels (at the same RPM under the same conditions) be the same ?

Just curious..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #260
brad-cam
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, E46 M3, F12 640, F80

I'm pleased to hear that the off-idle response characteristics are not my imagination and especially that Carbahn are aware of it. I'm looking forward to getting the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #261
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

+1 on the off idle response characteristics. I spoke to the guys at Carbahn and they are actively working on a numbers of updates. Their shop M3 is on the dyno. I'm hoping we'll hear from them in this upcoming week.

I would also love if we could use the stock ZCP burble timing tables. While the burbles are there, they seem more subtle than stock ZCP (which is where I am coming from).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #262
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
+1 on the off idle response characteristics. I spoke to the guys at Carbahn and they are actively working on a numbers of updates. Their shop M3 is on the dyno. I'm hoping we'll hear from them in this upcoming week.

I would also love if we could use the stock ZCP burble timing tables. While the burbles are there, they seem more subtle than stock ZCP (which is where I am coming from).
+1 on this
      01-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #263
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Maybe being nitpicky, but if in stock trim the F80 powertrain loss is 50hp, why is there more power train loss (60hp) after the car is tuned?

Shouldnt the amount of power needed to move the wheels (at the same RPM under the same conditions) be the same ?

Just curious..
Percentage loss is constant. Thus, a bigger number will result in a bigger result.

Eg 10% of 200 is 20. 10% of 300 is 30.
Actually what is constant is not percentage loss but actual hp loss. For example why would a car that was tuned to 1000 horsepower need 200 horsepower to move the wheels where as In stock 500 hp it only needed 100?

Needing 100 more hp to move the wheels because you increased the boost, put in a bigger turbo and running E85 doesn't make sense for no matter how you look at it. The powertrain loss should be the same at the same RPM/ and environmental factors
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #264
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Power train loss is a percentage.
My understanding of the literature, communications with dyno designers and personal experimentation do not concur. The greatest losses are related to speed in a polynomial relationship. Torque dependent losses vary little over order of magnitude changes to load. Therefore gains are overstated if powertrain loss is used as a percentage. Further credibility issues arise if the same percentage is applied to torque losses.

Additional issues arise with simply quoting "WHP" and not controlling for gearing, tire pressure, transmission fluid viscosity/temperature, strapping force and double contact patches as well as other dyno specific features make "WHP" inadequate for power verification, especially when it is simplified to suggest that "WHP" from a dyno is what goes onto the track surface.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article.../_pdf/-char/en

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9800010132.pdf

http://www.ep.liu.se/ecp/043/048/ecp09430059.pdf

Last edited by BMWcurious; 01-15-2019 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread