Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

11-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #67
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
All three are overweight pigs /
Indeed for many. It is the eternal balance of compromise.

Weight of comfort and features in a series based adaptation in a track capable sporty (but not out and out sports) car.

Vs.

A light weight built for the track, void of comfort and features.
BMW needs to use a Carbon Tub.

If Alfa can do it, then BMW can considering they own a CF Manufacturing Plant.
You realize Alfa is owned by FIAT SPa who also owns Ferrari, right? Ferrari makes more out of carbon than roof covers and goober electric cars.
I never said they didn't.

BMW has a carbon manufacturing plant, and it is about time they used it heavily on M-Cars!
They used those on i cars already, carbon core on 7 ser's but not yet applied to 5ser and downwards
Correct
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #68
Blackhawk878
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 and F15

I love threads arguing about who's opinion is the best.....wait what forum is this, shit NM
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #69
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

I think EVO mags are trustworthy, they not biased.
      11-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
BMW needs to use a Carbon Tub.

If Alfa can do it, then BMW can considering they own a CF Manufacturing Plant.
The Alfa you refer to with a CF tub is the 4C, right? Their M3 competitor, the Giulia, is steel just like the M3.

Also, BMW does have a Carbon Fiber Manufacturing facility:

http://www.sglacf.com/en.html

Now, its true they don't choose to use the technology to build a traditional sports car like the 4C. But they do have the i3 and i8. Admittedly those don't necessarily tick the boxes for the enthusiast.

But as far as the topic of this thread, both BMW and Fiat have CF body shell technology, and neither use it in this class of car. Nor do either of the other two competitors that are related to the topic of this thread. So, maybe start a different topic to discuss it? Just a suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #71
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Is it Porsche? No? But was I close?

All three of the cars in the test are sport coupes which are based on sport sedans that are meant for daily commuting and family carrying. None of these are pure sports cars. The differences among them come down to each brand's interpretation of what a high performance sport coupe should be. Each have finished first in some of the many tests that have compared the three (and other competitors), so there is not necessarily a clear winner among them. And while each individual may have one or more they are partial to or prefer for one reason or another, none of these would make for an outright miserable experience. It is hard to go wrong in this class of vehicle.
finally we have someone with a brain!

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #72
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

It was just a comment regard weight, and I actually know all about BMW's CF plant.

So if you want to start a new thread, go for it!

Quote:
The Alfa you refer to with a CF tub is the 4C, right? Their M3 competitor, the Giulia, is steel just like the M3.

Also, BMW does have a Carbon Fiber Manufacturing facility:

http://www.sglacf.com/en.html

Now, its true they don't choose to use the technology to build a traditional sports car like the 4C. But they do have the i3 and i8. Admittedly those don't necessarily tick the boxes for the enthusiast.

But as far as the topic of this thread, both BMW and Fiat have CF body shell technology, and neither use it in this class of car. Nor do either of the other two competitors that are related to the topic of this thread. So, maybe start a different topic to discuss it? Just a suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #73
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
There are hardware differences between ZCP and Non ZCP.

So you probably should shut your mouth and go drive one
Was this confirmed, regarding the HW differences? What are they?

And I will, it’s probably my next car in 2018...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
What about the higher rate springs and sway bars?
Sway bars would make sense, but higher rate springs with the same travel but without shock changes maybe not so much. Larger wheels with smaller sidewalls definitely affect the handling (and that last combined 5% spring rate).

Just curious whether anyone was actually able to confirm the spring story.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #75
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Sway bars would make sense, but higher rate springs with the same travel but without shock changes maybe not so much. Larger wheels with smaller sidewalls definitely affect the handling (and that last combined 5% spring rate).

Just curious whether anyone was actually able to confirm the spring story.
The CP only comes with EDC which has been re-calibrated for the CP. So the damper rates are not the same...

Eibach measured the spring rates for the base and non-CP, so it is confirmed.

M3 (Civic)
Front - 177 lbs/in
Rear – 591 lbs/in

M3 (Comp. Pkg)
Front – 198 lbs/in
Rear – 685 lbs/in

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=33

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #76
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The CP only comes with EDC which has been re-calibrated for the CP. So the damper rates are not the same...

Eibach measured the spring rates for the base and non-CP, so it is confirmed.

M3 (Civic)
Front - 177 lbs/in
Rear – 591 lbs/in

M3 (Comp. Pkg)
Front – 198 lbs/in
Rear – 685 lbs/in

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=33
The CP can opt for the non EDC suspension at no cost, I think. Still, it’s good to know there is a difference compared to my Civic.

I would have thought the M3 would have also benefited from a drop in the CG, meaning shorter springs, but whatever. I’ll buy it anyway.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #77
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
It was just a comment regard weight, and I actually know all about BMW's CF plant.
Yeah, my bad on that part - I actually misread your post. I thought you had said the opposite.

Anyway, the important point here is that nobody is using a CF unibody in this vehicle class - or really any class of luxury sedan. In fact, the only non-sports car I'm aware of that is made from CFRP is the i3.

Although BMW's CLAR platform is designed to allow CFRP to be incorporated in the BIW, so far that's been reserved for the 7 Series. I was hoping to see more of it in the F90 M5, but that didn't happen. Sadly, that means it is pretty unlikely for the next M3 as well.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      11-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #78
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The CP can opt for the non EDC suspension at no cost, I think. Still, it’s good to know there is a difference compared to my Civic.

I would have thought the M3 would have also benefited from a drop in the CG, meaning shorter springs, but whatever. I’ll buy it anyway.
They left that for the MP HAS, which apparently have the same spring rates as the CP springs.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #79
MiamiFan13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4-e40 335i 03 Cobra,Jeep SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613Bimmer View Post
Kinda surprised about the mention of poor cabin build quality in the C63S... isn't the cabin what it's usually praised for among the competition?
The C63s had the best interior and the best motor....and its the best looking car too. Oh wait, it also sounds the best!! Lame review!

I love all 3 cars, but imo the review was ignoring what matters most to those who buy these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #80
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiF View Post
The C63s had the best interior and the best motor....and its the best looking car too. Oh wait, it also sounds the best!! Lame review!

I love all 3 cars, but imo the review was ignoring what matters most to those who buy these cars.
For some buyers the track fun is also important. Here the M4 shines!
Each car has advantages or disadvantages, it would be somehow boring to have the same character on all these cars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4027.00
      11-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #81
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, my bad on that part - I actually misread your post. I thought you had said the opposite.

Anyway, the important point here is that nobody is using a CF unibody in this vehicle class - or really any class of luxury sedan. In fact, the only non-sports car I'm aware of that is made from CFRP is the i3.

Although BMW's CLAR platform is designed to allow CFRP to be incorporated in the BIW, so far that's been reserved for the 7 Series. I was hoping to see more of it in the F90 M5, but that didn't happen. Sadly, that means it is pretty unlikely for the next M3 as well.
Yeah I guess the M5 is a huge telltale.

Unless BMW M decides to do things completely backwards and bring it to the upcoming M3/4 first.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #82
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((myzmak))) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Of course it lost lol
Yup, in that one it did.

In this one, it won

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003386

Don't get me wrong, if the question is 'best sports car to rip around a track and damn any other uses' the 911 should win more often than not.

If the question is 'best sporty car that i can throw 2 sets of golf clubs OR 2 hockey bags and/or a couple of kids and still get a 4.0 second 0-100 time', the F8X should win more often.

This summer did a trip to our place in teh mountains. Our normal highway machine (an E350 wagon) had a bulging sidewall so we ditched that car and myself, wife, 2 kids went with luggage and all 4 sets of clubs (2 were junior sets, but still) in the F8X. 400 km each way.

worked. like. a. boss.

and was still fast and sporty.

so, yeah, for me i'd never consider the 911.

when the kids are gone....and i want it for a different purpose.....then maybe (though i maintain the 911 is not very pretty. the 718/cayman is much prettier)
But golf is for free masons and they drive a Lexus.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 1
myzmak2416.50
      11-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #83
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

anyway, i guess we have to kill you now.

damn.
      11-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #84
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Its shit
Dude c'mon... You can argue that the M is preferable (I argued that point with my wallet and bought an M3) but you certainly can't say the AMG is shit. Its a pretty fantastic car. The motor is better. Unless your M has full leather (mine does) the interior on the AMG is a clear winner. Yeah the transmission isn't the best but go drive any new porsche with PDK and you'll see why I argue that the DCT isn't anything so great itself.

Give me any of these 3 cars and my bet is that in the next 10 days of my life there will be something I do that each of these cars will handle better than the others.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #85
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((myzmak))) View Post
Quote:

anyway, i guess we have to kill you now.

damn.
Lmfaoooooooo I found you out!!!
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 1
myzmak2416.50
      11-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #86
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Dude c'mon... You can argue that the M is preferable (I argued that point with my wallet and bought an M3) but you certainly can't say the AMG is shit. Its a pretty fantastic car. The motor is better. Unless your M has full leather (mine does) the interior on the AMG is a clear winner. Yeah the transmission isn't the best but go drive any new porsche with PDK and you'll see why I argue that the DCT isn't anything so great itself.

Give me any of these 3 cars and my bet is that in the next 10 days of my life there will be something I do that each of these cars will handle better than the others.
I'm pretty certain this guy got his butt banned already once. (I'm speaking to the dude you replied to)

People buy AMGs for their engine. Those who drive AMGs don't care much about the transmission once you hear the engine and acoustics of it. As sad as I am to say this, AMG cars will always sound better than the Ms, by far. I don't even care for stuff like that myself.

AMGs comes with certain factors that will always makes it a selling point. One person built engine, amazing engine and sound. You drive a car like that you won't care much for the transmission.

I love my M, but each one of these cars are built with different purpose in mind. So these comparisons are nothing more than dick comparing contests that most actual buyers won't care for. Car enthusiasts are far beyond in the minority when it comes to car sales. Comparison tests doesn't mean much other than giving some of you pointless arguing points.
      11-10-2017, 02:39 AM   #87
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Better late thank never!

Very cool to see that the M4 gets put back on top of that #1 step on the podium.

I really hope that BMW learns from this situation and develops the successor better to be the focused car (from the onset) that the competition package became.

Many M devotees hate the M performance range but I really feel that their existence can give M the latitude to chase sales of customers who require a toned down experience while keeping true M core products like the M3/M4 true to their original mission.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #88
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I'm pretty certain this guy got his butt banned already once. (I'm speaking to the dude you replied to)

People buy AMGs for their engine. Those who drive AMGs don't care much about the transmission once you hear the engine and acoustics of it. As sad as I am to say this, AMG cars will always sound better than the Ms, by far. I don't even care for stuff like that myself.

AMGs comes with certain factors that will always makes it a selling point. One person built engine, amazing engine and sound. You drive a car like that you won't care much for the transmission.

I love my M, but each one of these cars are built with different purpose in mind. So these comparisons are nothing more than dick comparing contests that most actual buyers won't care for. Car enthusiasts are far beyond in the minority when it comes to car sales. Comparison tests doesn't mean much other than giving some of you pointless arguing points.
I disagree about the purpose of these comparisons. They simply bring the various qualities and defects into light and contrast them with those of the other cars. You can read one of these comparisons and actually say “based on this, I think I actually like the AMG more”.

Evo being the self-touted enthusiast’s magazine, they usually care most about the driving experience (handling, emotion and whatnot). I personally agree with their choice (duh, I voted with my wallet after all, and will vote again next year).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread