Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #177
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Which is why none of us do it - this is all just hypothetical
Well, we all know that with cars comfortable well into the triple-digit speed range, we all abide by the written laws all the time ;-)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

-mjc
      06-23-2015, 03:08 AM   #178
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
My car has LEDs and the FLA3 camera (I don't have drivers assistance package).

I VO coded all modules except DME and NBT (for some reason, NBT gave me an error while VO coding.? I can FDL code the NBT module no problem...) I'm not sure what the NBT module would do for the no-dazzle adaptive high beams, but this could be why I did not get the results others have had.

Anyway, my lights still do not function properly.

Something is up with your configuration if you can't successfully VO code HU_NBT. DME for sure should not be touched. Make sure you have the absolute latest data files.

Driver's assistance shouldn't be required, but there aren't a lot of data points yet on M3/M4's to know with 100% certainty that I've been able to find.

Quote:

I'm gonna try VO coding every module again and see what happens, it it doesn't make things better, I'm going to add 5AP back to the FA and I'm over it.
Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
BTW, shawnsheridan has also stated in another forum than VO coding any modules other than those mentioned in post #173 above is in his opinion not necessary. See post #8 in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=849011
Shawn is fantastic, but until someone takes the time to use this tool: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=849011 to find out definitively, there is no reason not to VO code every module (except DME). It takes less than 10 minutes to VO code the entire car. It's not like it's a big time commitment, and in my case, I was not seeing the results I was seeing on my F10 M5 by only coding the modules that folks historically coded. It wasn't untiil I VO coded all the modules except DME when it seemed to be working properly.

opasha discovered something similar on the F15 X5 around April 3rd, 2015 (details in this thread f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17683222 and the instructions are in post #1. You'll see when you sift thorough that thread that numerous people reported the same problems when just VO coding the handful of modules known previously (it was "sort of" working, but not fully, and was still blinding oncoming motorists).

Until someone does a before and after compare of every module with the M3 and M4 specifically, we won't know for sure which modules should be coded and which should not, so for now, just VO code everything except DME.

Last edited by TonySCV; 06-23-2015 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #179
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
opasha discovered something similar on the F15 X5 around April 3rd, 2015 (details in this thread f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17683222 and the instructions are in post #1. You'll see when you sift thorough that thread that numerous people reported the same problems when just VO coding the handful of modules known previously (it was "sort of" working, but not fully, and was still blinding oncoming motorists).
But that could well be because the people in question were initially only VO-coding the FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 modules and not also the LED modules (TMS and LHM), as mentioned by shawnsheridan.

In any case, if in doubt, it is certainly the case that VO-coding every module but DME is the safer approach, as it cannot hurt: I did try it
      06-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #180
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
But that could well be because the people in question were initially only VO-coding the FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 modules and not also the LED modules (TMS and LHM), as mentioned by shawnsheridan.
EDIT: Use dmnc02's how-to guide to get no-dazzle high beams coded correctly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1437345971

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-28-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #181
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Update on my car... My original complaints are post #117 in this thread if you want to see what I was bitching about.

My car has LEDs and the FLA3 camera (I don't have drivers assistance package).

I VO coded all modules except DME and NBT (for some reason, NBT gave me an error while VO coding.? I can FDL code the NBT module no problem...) I'm not sure what the NBT module would do for the no-dazzle adaptive high beams, but this could be why I did not get the results others have had.

Anyway, my lights still do not function properly. I do not have the tunneling or black box around cars while I'm behind them. It works the same way as I stated in post #117. It still shines a lot of light on the car ahead of me and I can clearly see their shadow on the trees in front of them. I can see my lights reflecting off their rear and sideview mirrors.

The lights are slow to react and it's obvious cars coming the opposite way drive through my driver side high beam. I got flashed again last night (not in the good way). After the car passes by me, the high beam turns off, then immediately back on like it couldn't turn off fast enough.

I'm gonna try VO coding every module again and see what happens, it it doesn't make things better, I'm going to add 5AP back to the FA and I'm over it.
I did the very same thing last night. Followed directions to a T, and even just to be safe VO coded all modules (except DME and I think one other that didn't allow me to code.....not NBT though, I think that coded fine) with no errors and I am getting the same behavior as you listed above. I don't have drivers assistance either, only the FLA camera.

First of all the coding works, but the behavior seems to be "iffy". The behavior is definitely something where the lights are doing all sorts of interesting things. I did get flashed once, but i'm not entirely sure that it's due to the high beams directly on them. People seem confused by all the motions the lights make. It's constantly active.

But like you, at times it doesn't seem like it's making a tunnel, and then at times it does. Sometimes i'm right behind someone and clearly my high beams seem to be in his rear view mirror. Sometimes the beams seem to move to the side of the road, as they are supposed to, and sometimes when oncoming traffic approaches, the left beam switches from high to low. As it's supposed to. But other times it just doesn't react quickly.

Again, people seem confused by the behavior and that's somewhat off putting. I like the tech (if it works properly), but not at the expense of becoming a distraction on the road.

I'm curious if this does have something to do with only having the FLA camera.

Please let me know if you re-coded and things worked? (not a fan of re-coding all modules again.....i'm a coding noob and all those idrive messages when coding certain modules give me the heebie-jeebies..lol)

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #182
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
I did the very same thing last night. Followed directions to a T, and even just to be safe VO coded all modules (except DME and I think one other that didn't allow me to code.....not NBT though, I think that coded fine) with no errors and I am getting the same behavior as you listed above. I don't have drivers assistance either, only the FLA camera.

First of all the coding works, but the behavior seems to be "iffy". The behavior is definitely something where the lights are doing all sorts of interesting things. I did get flashed once, but i'm not entirely sure that it's due to the high beams directly on them. People seem confused by all the motions the lights make. It's constantly active.

But like you, at times it doesn't seem like it's making a tunnel, and then at times it does. Sometimes i'm right behind someone and clearly my high beams seem to be in his rear view mirror. Sometimes the beams seem to move to the side of the road, as they are supposed to, and sometimes when oncoming traffic approaches, the left beam switches from high to low. As it's supposed to. But other times it just doesn't react quickly.

Again, people seem confused by the behavior and that's somewhat off putting. I like the tech (if it works properly), but not at the expense of becoming a distraction on the road.

I'm curious if this does have something to do with only having the FLA camera.

Please let me know if you re-coded and things worked? (not a fan of re-coding all modules again.....i'm a coding noob and all those idrive messages when coding certain modules give me the heebie-jeebies..lol)
Once you guys code this, is it possible to drive with just the low beams on if preferred? I'd hate to have it be a distraction and could potentially see it being a problem with attracting a cop or something (especially where I live).
      06-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #183
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Once you guys code this, is it possible to drive with just the low beams on if preferred? I'd hate to have it be a distraction and could potentially see it being a problem with attracting a cop or something (especially where I live).
Yes... anti-dazzle high beams are just that... high beams. Keep the auto high beam switched off and the car will stay low beam only.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #184
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Can anybody in NJ code this for me? PM me

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:56 AM   #185
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Our DOT sucks, they are also giving BMW a hard time about the laser headlights.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #186
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Our DOT sucks, they are also giving BMW a hard time about the laser headlights.
Humorously, it's actually the FDA that BMW is waiting on for laser approval. Lasers are filed under the category of medical devices, which is regulated by the FDA, so the FDA has to sign off on laser headlights, which they have indicated willingness to do, but it won't happen for a few months (backlog and all, and understandably most medical devices get higher priority than laser headlights).

The DOT is the slowpoke when it comes to the adaptive high beam headlights. Congress could speed that up but... yeah.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #187
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

The variable light looks really cool. Can auto high beam be coded too? My understanding is that variable light needs both adaptive light and auto high beam(in pre LCI) to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #188
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The variable light looks really cool. Can auto high beam be coded too? My understanding is that variable light needs both adaptive light and auto high beam(in pre LCI) to work.
Variable Light Distribution and Anti-Dazzle High Beams are two different features. They both can be coded, but Anti-Dazzle lighting requires that you have the High Beam Assistant (HBA) installed. On the 2015 F80/2/3's, that feature is only offered in the Adaptive LED Lighting package. Can you code the auto high beam feature itself? No. You need the LED lighting package to get the auto high beam feature in 2015 cars. There is no way to code HBA on by default. There is a way in some BMW's - it does not work in the F80/2/3.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #189
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Variable Light Distribution and Anti-Dazzle High Beams are two different features. They both can be coded, but Anti-Dazzle lighting requires that you have the High Beam Assistant (HBA) installed. On the 2015 F80/2/3's, that feature is only offered in the Adaptive LED Lighting package. Can you code the auto high beam feature itself? No. You need the LED lighting package to get the auto high beam feature in 2015 cars. There is no way to code HBA on by default. There is a way in some BMW's - it does not work in the F80/2/3.
Thanks for the clarification on F8*. Mine is pre-LCI F30 with lighting package, which has xenon plus adaptive lighting. There seems to be no additional hardware needed for HBA in F30 but need to double-check, maybe additional sensor is needed?

LCI F30 lighting options seems to match F8* ones, and it is likely your description will apply directly to LCI F30.

Last edited by bavarianride; 06-27-2015 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #190
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Hopefully I'll be ordering my F82 this week. This looks like a must do for me.

2 quick questions:
When you take it in to be serviced do they plug the car in, see that this is done, and flash it to default?
I'm planning on leasing. If the dealership sees this done should I expect any trouble?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #191
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demxsr View Post
Hopefully I'll be ordering my F82 this week. This looks like a must do for me.

2 quick questions:
When you take it in to be serviced do they plug the car in, see that this is done, and flash it to default?
I'm planning on leasing. If the dealership sees this done should I expect any trouble?
The way I understand it, you should not have to redo any coding unless the dealership needs to update your software. As for warranty, you should be fine unless you brick the car. Then you would likely be responsible for repairs. Just make sure you read up on coding before you start messing with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #192
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Bluex or MineralwhiteF80, have you guys had any success recoding? I'm having similar issues after coding. At first it worked pretty good after just coding the main two ecus (fla3 and the other one). Just drove it a couple miles then coded all ecus based on this thread. Hard to tell if its worse, but definitely doesn't work 100% for example if I'm behind a truck on the highway, i can tell the highbeams shifted to the shoulder, however the truck is still lit up well. If i turn highbeams off, reflected light off the truck drops dramatically, proving the highbeams are on.

Anyone try recoding the us specs back on all ecus (besides DME of course)?
      07-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #193
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
Bluex or MineralwhiteF80, have you guys had any success recoding? I'm having similar issues after coding. At first it worked pretty good after just coding the main two ecus (fla3 and the other one). Just drove it a couple miles then coded all ecus based on this thread. Hard to tell if its worse, but definitely doesn't work 100% for example if I'm behind a truck on the highway, i can tell the highbeams shifted to the shoulder, however the truck is still lit up well. If i turn highbeams off, reflected light off the truck drops dramatically, proving the highbeams are on.

Anyone try recoding the us specs back on all ecus (besides DME of course)?
Recoding? You mean adding back 5AP and 8S4 to the FA?

No, haven't done that and most likely won't.

This feature doesn't work 100% and I think those that say it does, aren't quite certain of how it really should behave. I *have* coded all ECU's (except DME of course) and while things *do* work, it's not perfect. At times it will blind people, and at times it does not react quickly enough. Other times it works well. I have no idea why this is....I do wonder if terrain and speed have something to do with it.

No need for me to code back to US specs, as that's simply just "auto HB", which I really have no use for. I'll simply just turn it off in the stalk.

I'm following other coding threads regarding this to see if there are any "ah ha!" breakthrough's, but nothing forthcoming so far.

I'm taking a "it is what it is" perspective.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #194
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Based on the recent posts in the thread on the other forum (Re-coding no-dazzle high beam assistance?), it looks like it would be very helpful if people posting on whether they have no-glare high beams working or not were more specific about the packages they have on their cars.

At this point, the no-glare high-beams seem to be working fine (after coding) on cars equipped with ALL of the following: adaptive LEDs and HBA (both part of the Lighting package) and the KAFAS camera (which comes with the Driver Assistance package). They do not seem to be working as they should on US cars with Xenons (the Xenons have a different part number than those on ECE cars). It is not clear whether they can be coded on cars with adaptive LEDs but without HBA and whether they work properly on cars with adaptive LEDs and HBA but without the KAFAS camera.

Activating Variable Light Distribution seems to present no issues.

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-10-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #195
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Based on the recent posts in the thread on the other forum (Re-coding no-dazzle high beam assistance?), it looks like it would be very helpful if people posting on whether they have no-glare high beams working or not were more specific about the packages they have on their cars.

At this point, the no-glare high-beams seem to be working fine (after coding) on cars equipped with ALL of the following: adaptive LEDs and HBA (both part of the Lighting package) and the KAFAS camera (which comes with the Driver Assistance package). They do not seem to be working as they should on US cars with Xenons (the Xenons have a different part number than those on ECE cars). It is not clear whether they work properly on cars with adaptive LEDs but without HBA or the KAFAS camera.
In my particular case I have the Adaptive LED's but *without* the Driver Assistance package. I asked Shawn about this as a possibility for why it may not work 100% and his response was "In Europe there are plenty of cars equipped as yours, without DA and the feature works fine".

So count me as puzzled still....

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #196
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
In my particular case I have the Adaptive LED's but *without* the Driver Assistance package. I asked Shawn about this as a possibility for why it may not work 100% and his response was "In Europe there are plenty of cars equipped as yours, without DA and the feature works fine".

So count me as puzzled still....
The first thing to check would be whether the part number for the FLA camera is the same for both ECE and US cars. The second thing would be whether there are any software settings for that camera that are based on the country variant and might interfere with the operation of no-glare high beams.

As I mentioned, it is simply unclear at this point whether or not no-glare high beams can be made to work properly with the FLA camera: it might just require some additional FDL coding besides VO coding to remove the crippling 5AP and 8S4 codes while leaving the country variant set to US (which is what I think almost everybody has done).

Let's keep in mind that, as far as BMW is concerned, "US car with no-glare high beams" is not a tested (or even valid) combination for the purpose of VO coding, so VO coding for such a combination might not work as expected for all hardware.

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-10-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #197
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Just did my first coding session last night on my 2 week old F80. Way more intimidating than using VAG-COM on my previous Audis and VW's. However, once I got the hang of it, it was rather straightforward. Part of my issues had to do with the fact I am running E-SYS using a Mac and Parallels. Took some fooling around but I got it to connect via VIN as it wasn't doing it at first. I am not quite sure how I got it to work as it was getting late and I was just throwing shit against a wall. Since I need to go back and finish coding I will post if I have a definitive answer. There are many threads out there on it so I am far from the first to be coding in this manner.

Anyways, I did the anti-dazzle according to the F80 cheat sheet and didnt know that I needed to code the other modules. It worked but like others have said, I was blinding oncoming traffic and when the passenger side headlight would shine on the side of the road it would partially hit the car in front of me. Since I finished coding around 1AM there simply weren't many cars out on the road to test it so I thought it might be an aberration, after reading more in this thread it is obvious I need to go back in the VO code the rest of the modules. It was fantastic seeing the lights move around the way they did and I am excited to finish it up and get them working properly.

One question though: is it required to code any CAFD files? they were mentioned in the cheat sheet but when I went in there I didn't see the files they were referring to. I assume that they just modify the speeds at which the lights go into the different modes (highway mode, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #198
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
Just did my first coding session last night on my 2 week old F80. Way more intimidating than using VAG-COM on my previous Audis and VW's. However, once I got the hang of it, it was rather straightforward. Part of my issues had to do with the fact I am running E-SYS using a Mac and Parallels. Took some fooling around but I got it to connect via VIN as it wasn't doing it at first. I am not quite sure how I got it to work as it was getting late and I was just throwing shit against a wall. Since I need to go back and finish coding I will post if I have a definitive answer. There are many threads out there on it so I am far from the first to be coding in this manner.

Anyways, I did the anti-dazzle according to the F80 cheat sheet and didnt know that I needed to code the other modules. It worked but like others have said, I was blinding oncoming traffic and when the passenger side headlight would shine on the side of the road it would partially hit the car in front of me. Since I finished coding around 1AM there simply weren't many cars out on the road to test it so I thought it might be an aberration, after reading more in this thread it is obvious I need to go back in the VO code the rest of the modules. It was fantastic seeing the lights move around the way they did and I am excited to finish it up and get them working properly.

One question though: is it required to code any CAFD files? they were mentioned in the cheat sheet but when I went in there I didn't see the files they were referring to. I assume that they just modify the speeds at which the lights go into the different modes (highway mode, etc.).
Do you have the Lighting and/or the Driver Assistance Plus package on your car?