Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
Your timing posting on my thread was appropriate! I was within a day or two of doing the same.

Did some research and found this set of ceramic pads for our cars on Amazon. First some background. I've run numerous sets of the Hawk Street Ceramics on some of my past cars, two CTS-V's and my C-7. Loved their pads and how they practically eliminated the brake dust. I had no plans of tracking any of these cars. If I did, I would have purchased some track pads for those days.

When I found these pads on Amazon I was somewhat skeptical, as I had never heard of Power Stop before. Went on their site and shipped an email with some questions to them. Heard right back from their production mgr. He answered my questions and I ordered a set. I figured with the price, even if I didn't like them it was no big financial loss.

Got the pads and it was an easy swap. The pads even have the OE balance weights for noise/vibration. Same notch location for the sensor and that was also an easy swap. I also followed their bedding-in procedure found on their site, as I didn't find that procedure on the package.

I've had them on now for 600 miles. Some mixed miles between stop and go and freeway and no rain over this distance. Nothing but road dust on the wheels. Even less brake dust than the Hawks. Great pedal feel and zero noise. At this time they only have the front pads. Production mgr says within 3-4 months the rears will be in production. Obviously with the front rear bias, the rear OE's shed much less dust than the fronts, but when the rears come into production, I will run those also.

Bottom line. I could not be happier with the results and the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-16-...015%3Abmw%3Am4
By the way, is this part to replace pads on the Non-CCB? Not clear whether your car was already equipped with CCB and your just looking for alternative pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

So I guess an obvious question is that when washing the car in between coats of the AmorAll, does a typical car soap cleaner remove the AA protectant or is it resilient to this?

I use Poor Boy's wheel cleaner which is indeed a 'miracle' cleaner to me and would be perfect for the multi-spoke wheels on your AM, however I strongly suspect that applying this to the Armor All coating would remove it.

Perhaps a perfect combo would be clean wheels with Poor Boys, apply Armor All and then be able to wash the car body with cleaner that does not remove the Armor All Protectant - guess I'll have to try this!

Cheers, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Try this product:
      11-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
So I guess an obvious question is that when washing the car in between coats of the AmorAll, does a typical car soap cleaner remove the AA protectant or is it resilient to this?

I use Poor Boy's wheel cleaner which is indeed a 'miracle' cleaner to me and would be perfect for the multi-spoke wheels on your AM, however I strongly suspect that applying this to the Armor All coating would remove it.

Perhaps a perfect combo would be clean wheels with Poor Boys, apply Armor All and then be able to wash the car body with cleaner that does not remove the Armor All Protectant - guess I'll have to try this!

Cheers, C.
You could apply a sealant to the wheels such as cquartz or opticoat. Dust will rinse off very easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

Cheers, C.
You don't need a dedicated wheel cleaner if you clean the rims often/regularly. I use a normal car wash soap. Once or twice a year do a full decontamination, wax/coat the wheels and you're good to go.
      11-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #27
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
You could apply a sealant to the wheels such as cquartz or opticoat. Dust will rinse off very easily.
Yes I actually have this believe it or not as we all as on the entire car including headlights, but still get tons of brake dust on my wheels - maybe they did not apply it as rigorously as they should have - do you also have CQuartz on your wheels and have had good results?

Quote:
You don't need a dedicated wheel cleaner if you clean the rims often/regularly. I use a normal car wash soap. Once or twice a year do a full decontamination, wax/coat the wheels and you're good to go.
Hmmm - I clean my rims every weekend and still generate each week high amount of dust build-up (mines a DD) - not sure I get where you are gong with that? I use Poor Boys as mentioned to get a clean result and it is fairly painless in respect application. Normal car wash soap does no clean nearly as well as the Poor Boys does. I was actually asking whether or not car soap would degrade the Armor All compound i.e. basically remove it or whether the AA is resilient to car wash soap - if the latter, then it would make a lot of sense to apply it post wash and reduce the effort to maintain clean wheels through subsequent car washes. I have applied spray wax but have not done a proper full on wax treatment to my wheels - but now we are back to labor intensive solutions - Maybe I am missing something here?
      11-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #28
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Yes I actually have this believe it or not as we all as on the entire car including headlights, but still get tons of brake dust on my wheels - maybe they did not apply it as rigorously as they should have - do you also have CQuartz on your wheels and have had good results?

Hmmm - I clean my rims every weekend and still generate each week high amount of dust build-up (mines a DD) - not sure I get where you are gong with that? I use Poor Boys as mentioned to get a clean result and it is fairly painless in respect application. Normal car wash soap does no clean nearly as well as the Poor Boys does. I was actually asking whether or not car soap would degrade the Armor All compound i.e. basically remove it or whether the AA is resilient to car wash soap - if the latter, then it would make a lot of sense to apply it post wash and reduce the effort to maintain clean wheels through subsequent car washes. I have applied spray wax but have not done a proper full on wax treatment to my wheels - but now we are back to labor intensive solutions - Maybe I am missing something here?
do not have cquatz on my wheels..but had OC on my last e90 m3..had the competition pkg and wheels...dust rinsed right off...and those wheels were a PITA to clean before I OC'd them
      11-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #29
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
By the way, is this part to replace pads on the Non-CCB? Not clear whether your car was already equipped with CCB and your just looking for alternative pads.
Mine is not equipped with the CCB's.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #30
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
Mine is not equipped with the CCB's.
just tried to order. They said their pads only rated up to 2015 M4... I have a 2016. They suggested I cancel the order so I did.

I can't imagine why the pads would be different for the 2016 models. That said, Im not in a hurry so perhaps this just gives me time to look into other options.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #31
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

I just ordered them for a 2015. Mine is a 2016, but there are no changes. Same oem pads for both years
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #32
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
I just ordered them for a 2015. Mine is a 2016, but there are no changes. Same oem pads for both years
Which one did you order? Power Stop? Do they still have front only?

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #33
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuwcc112 View Post
Which one did you order? Power Stop? Do they still have front only?
Yea, I got the Power Stop Ceramic. Will install this Saturday. I will update the thread with how they are.

They do only have the front available at this time. They already have the part number out for the rear ones. The rep said they will email me as soon as the rears are released.
      11-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #34
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I got the Power Stop Ceramic. Will install this Saturday. I will update the thread with how they are.

They do only have the front available at this time. They already have the part number out for the rear ones. The rep said they will email me as soon as the rears are released.
Keep us update it!

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #35
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #36
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Happy Monday! Any update on this?

2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #37
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuwcc112 View Post
Happy Monday! Any update on this?
I did install the pads on Saturday. Drove the car home, but it was already dirty from the prior week. I did end up washing the car after getting home...Unfortunately, did not get a chance to drive the car around yet.

I will have an update by the end of this week, once I put some miles on the car.

The pads did fit perfectly and did not need any modifications to fit. I do not track the car, so street driving, I really did not notice any difference in the braking performance. Which is a plus.

Just need to test out the amount of dust that will be left.
      11-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #38
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Umm, how do you clean the wheels? Just spray it on, wait and rinse it off? I use wheel woolies and brushes to clean mine and regualar car soap does a good job. Wheel wax helps with the cleaning, but not brake dust... at least in my experience. I have not tried the armor all stuff yet because they do not ship it here.

Most wheel cleaners will strip waxes, but you'd be fine with a proper coating like Gtechniq, GYEON, cquartz and other. That's why I don't use any cleaners.
      11-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #39
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Umm, how do you clean the wheels? Just spray it on, wait and rinse it off? I use wheel woolies and brushes to clean mine and regualar car soap does a good job. Wheel wax helps with the cleaning, but not brake dust... at least in my experience. I have not tried the armor all stuff yet because they do not ship it here.

Most wheel cleaners will strip waxes, but you'd be fine with a proper coating like Gtechniq, GYEON, cquartz and other. That's why I don't use any cleaners.
Perhaps we are getting cross-wired here!

I assumed that was you in the Vid you posted I read that post as a technique/product that would allow us to drastically reduce the frequency of using all the wheel brushes and labor intensive applications in cleaning our wheels by applying the Armor All product - did not realize you have not actually used it yet!

I like many of us have all the gear you refer to but more often than not, I do indeed spray on and wash off PoorBoys precisely because it is not labor intensive and cleaning wheels is relatively laborious and frankly a pain. Thus I am always looking for methods to avoid that chore

If like I, you wash your car every weekend, and if normal car wash soap actually removes the AA coating, then the advantage lasts only one week and the cost of application is much greater (in not having to clean with PoorBoys or any labor intensive brush process every weekend). If as stated in the vid that the AA application should last at least one month or more and survive 'normal' car washes then the advantage is much greater to me.

Cheers, C.
      11-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #40
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps we are getting cross-wired here!

I assumed that was you in the Vid you posted I read that post as a technique/product that would allow us to drastically reduce the frequency of using all the wheel brushes and labor intensive applications in cleaning our wheels by applying the Armor All product - did not realize you have not actually used it yet!

I like many of us have all the gear you refer to but more often than not, I do indeed spray on and wash off PoorBoys precisely because it is not labor intensive and cleaning wheels is relatively laborious and frankly a pain. Thus I am always looking for methods to avoid that chore

If like I, you wash your car every weekend, and if normal car wash soap actually removes the AA coating, then the advantage lasts only one week and the cost of application is much greater (in not having to clean with PoorBoys or any labor intensive brush process every weekend). If as stated in the vid that the AA application should last at least one month or more and survive 'normal' car washes then the advantage is much greater to me.

Cheers, C.
Oh, I don't have an Aston.

I know from second hand experience that it really works. Dackelone, who I am sure you have seen on here, has used the AA spray on his 135i rims, and let me tell you that throughout our Alpine trip the rims stayed clean while mine were dirty and covered in the usual BMW brake dust.

To be precise, there are products (car soaps, APC, etc.) that remove wax/sealant and there are products that don't. Some manufacturers say that their cleaners are safe and so on, but I don't really believe that because, let's say, the rim cleaner could not be so strong if it were wax-safe. That's just my personal opinion and I could be wrong.

I have Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and it makes the cleaning easier for me (sometimes I just power wash the rims and they come out 90% clean), but does not repel brake dust at all. And I HATE brake dust.

I am fine with my car soap on wheels and wheel woolies. My wheels (apart from the curb rash, unfortunately) look brand new.
      11-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #41
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I did install the pads on Saturday. Drove the car home, but it was already dirty from the prior week. I did end up washing the car after getting home...Unfortunately, did not get a chance to drive the car around yet.

I will have an update by the end of this week, once I put some miles on the car.

The pads did fit perfectly and did not need any modifications to fit. I do not track the car, so street driving, I really did not notice any difference in the braking performance. Which is a plus.

Just need to test out the amount of dust that will be left.
Any mid week updates to see if its dust free? Mine would be covered in dust by mid week.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #42
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Any mid week updates to see if its dust free? Mine would be covered in dust by mid week.
Haven't drove the car since last Saturday. Been busy with work, haven't had the chance. I will drive it around on the weekend, so should have an update by Monday.
      11-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #43
Lloyd_Christmas
Private
Rep

I have used the AA Wheel Protectant for years and it is amazing!

I would say that it keeps 90% of the brake dust off for two or so weeks and then starts to lose its effectiveness. It will not last through a wash, however, so needs to be reapplied each time you wash the car. A $9 bottle will probably get you through 4 or so applications (to all wheels).
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #44
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Project MU brake pads are supposed to help a bit with the brake dust without losing any bite

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0