Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Looking for Downpipe // Heat wrap high temp coated downpipe?

RHD Catless Downpipe wanted for my M3 S55!!!!

I'm looking at the VRSF Cerakote High Temp Coating, but that won't be available for many months.

For the price and the build quality I don't think you can go wrong with VRSF. Show me what you guys got, how many miles/km's it's done and what you're after $$$

Must be able to ship to Australia, Victoria

I really want a downpipe that's got a high temp coating/finish from factory. I'm looking to heat wrap it as well (Not sure if that'll help manage heat more or if it'll make it worse as I've read on a forum here before... can you guys shed some light on that?)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Hi,

We can ship a set to swaintech for you. Apples and oranges to compare to the coatings you mentioned and no wrap will be needed.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-downpipes-m2c-m3-m4/

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/...aust-coatings/

Is this for as race car? Just fyi temps will be dramatically lower than factory downpipes just by switching.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:30 AM   #3
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Hi,

We can ship a set to swaintech for you. Apples and oranges to compare to the coatings you mentioned and no wrap will be needed.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-downpipes-m2c-m3-m4/

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/...aust-coatings/

Is this for as race car? Just fyi temps will be dramatically lower than factory downpipes just by switching.

How much would Swaintech charge for the race coating?

Will heat wrapping a coated downpipe make it perform any worse though? I just want to make sure that its as insulated as possible so I can keep the engine bay cool. Plus there's the performance side of things which is what I'm also after.

I'm aware if you switch from oem to catless it'll be better, but as I said, I just want to be thorough and precautious for managing the heat
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraz View Post

Will heat wrapping a coated downpipe make it perform any worse though? I just want to make sure that its as insulated as possible so I can keep the engine bay cool. Plus there's the performance side of things which is what I'm also after.

I'm aware if you switch from oem to catless it'll be better, but as I said, I just want to be thorough and precautious for managing the heat
I am pretty concerned about heat and if I were to do DPs, they'd be the Akra downpipes. They come with nice heat shielding and their fit is perfect.
Expensive, but worth the cost
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

I am pretty concerned about heat and if I were to do DPs, they'd be the Akra downpipes. They come with nice heat shielding and their fit is perfect.
In the same vein, for my next set of downpipes (and turbos)…I am getting everything the HeaderShield treatment. No more messing around!
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      05-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:

Im not sure the cost you would have to reach out to them directly.

There is no need to heat wrap with that coating though its more than enough. Im sure the metal would just retain its heat for even longer making it harder for it to cool down.

Are you worried about IAts? or just engine bay temps?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
In the same vein, for my next set of downpipes (and turbos)…I am getting everything the HeaderShield treatment. No more messing around!
Ooh okay, I just had a look at their website, the insulation they use doesn't seem to be any different than if I was just to get my mechanic to heat wrap the downpipe. Is there something special about it that I'm missing?

They're also saying they can pretty much wrap anything, hypothetically, would getting downpipes ceramic coated from Swaintech plus getting the wrap from Header shield provide more insulation, heat management and power than getting a set of akra?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yeah I've heard really good things about their fitment, I've yet to hear from someone who has had troubles getting them on.

My concern is yes they're quiet expensive, but for the price I'm paying for akra, compared to lets say vrsf (best bang for buck) I could use extra money on other parts of the car. While I am concerned about heat, I don't know if I can justify the $ per Celcius/Fahrenheit savings. If akra has data on their downpipes that show it manages heat better than any other downpipe on the market by a significant margin, then to me a downpipe is just a downpipe

I've also heard the rasp on the akra downpipes aren't that great compared to other downpipes

Has me thinking now though, whether I should get it heat wrapped from Headershield or get it ceramic coated from Swaintech as their coatings are a lot thicker than other coatings... or both... just trying to think of the best way to manage heat for the most reasonable price

EDIT: As mentioned above too, couldn't I just get my mechanic to heat wrap the downpipes and call it a day?

Last edited by Auroraz; 05-18-2022 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Im not sure the cost you would have to reach out to them directly.

There is no need to heat wrap with that coating though its more than enough. Im sure the metal would just retain its heat for even longer making it harder for it to cool down.

Are you worried about IAts? or just engine bay temps?

No worries, I've reached out to them asking for a quote.

" retain its heat for even longer " - I hadn't thought about that, I guess my next question would be is the better alternative to heat wrap or to cereramic coat and not worry about getting both

Defs concerned about IAT's and engine bay temps
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Coatings flake off over time, it just happens. A HeaderShield type application is race car stuff, will last, and has massive heat management benefits. Their Instagram and website (and videos) have lots of info on how well the product works in terms of heat management.

Now if you want to level up even more, reach out to GoodFabs in the UK, I believe they have a similar product, but available in Inconel.

Combine that with an Interchiller (check IG), and you are SET…aka, you will have an icy cold top mount charge cooler, with icy cold IATs.
      05-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #11
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Coatings flake off over time, it just happens. A HeaderShield type application is race car stuff, will last, and has massive heat management benefits. Their Instagram and website (and videos) have lots of info on how well the product works in terms of heat management.

Now if you want to level up even more, reach out to GoodFabs in the UK, I believe they have a similar product, but available in Inconel.

Combine that with an Interchiller (check IG), and you are SET…aka, you will have an icy cold top mount charge cooler, with icy cold IATs.
Wouldn't the wrap also come undone overtime as it's not an adhesive like a coating?

I'm 100% going to look more thoroughly at their product and how it works, I just don't want to break the bank lol, trying to find the perfect equilibrium of performance and cost.

Yes I'm definitely looking into an Interchiller down the line. From memory they offer two different types? One normal version where the A/C doesn't work, and one where you can switch between having a functional A/C and not functional?

I wonder why people don't use it more as it seems like such a good thing, hardly explored here in Australia

EDIT:
Also... is there a difference between HeaderShield's product and an off the shelf exhaust heat wrap?
Happened to find this article, not sure if it has anything to do with HeaderShield's product

https://www.autoworks.com.au/blog/38...and-why-use-it

Last edited by Auroraz; 05-18-2022 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

AA catless, Swain Tech coated, with flex joints. Plus 5% off and free shipping (not sure if that applies to international). I was planning on getting them, but the car I bought ended up having down pipes already installed.

https://autotalent.com/products/acti...3-m4-2014-2019
      05-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #13
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
AA catless, Swain Tech coated, with flex joints. Plus 5% off and free shipping (not sure if that applies to international). I was planning on getting them, but the car I bought ended up having down pipes already installed.

https://autotalent.com/products/acti...3-m4-2014-2019
Oooo very interesting, I'll definitely keep an eye on this one
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
No worries, I've reached out to them asking for a quote.

" retain its heat for even longer " - I hadn't thought about that, I guess my next question would be is the better alternative to heat wrap or to cereramic coat and not worry about getting both

Defs concerned about IAT's and engine bay temps
Personally I wouldn't even bother unless its a track car the difference from going catted to non catted is a huge jump in a lower temp direction already. I would spend money on a top mount cooler or just changing out the cooler fluids to water wetter or engine ice. Ive seen this bring down temps 15 deg.

You could also gold foil your charge pipes and any intake pipes as well.

Wraps from my experience tend to wear and unravel over time especially in tight spaces where there might be some rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #15
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Not all wraps are created equal, and many will degrade over time with use. Coatings wear off and flake away over time. A HeaderShield approach is the best you can get, if you watch their vids, the temp reductions are insane good from roughly 700f to 200f in one application, also seeing an 80% better heat management rate being Thrown around. I would read the below link!

https://headershield.com/#how-does-it-work
Attached Images

05-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #16
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Not all wraps are created equal, and many will degrade over time with use. Coatings wear off and flake away over time. A HeaderShield approach is the best you can get, if you watch their vids, the temp reductions are insane good from roughly 700f to 200f in one application, also seeing an 80% better heat management rate being Thrown around. I would read the below link!

That does look very good! Very pricey for anything other than a dedicated track car though around $700.

I assume thats also very different material than the thin tac'ed on metal heat shields being sold now a-days.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #17
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That does look very good! Very pricey for anything other than a dedicated track car though around $700.

I assume thats also very different material than the thin tac'ed on metal heat shields being sold now a-days.
Hey I've seen the M crowd spend 7k on an exhaust! If they will do that, then I can see the HeaderShield option as viable w/ IATs & under-hood-temps always being a concern.

If you combine this with an Interchiller, you're unstoppable!
      05-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #18
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Hey I've seen the M crowd spend 7k on an exhaust! If they will do that, then I can see the HeaderShield option as viable w/ IATs & under-hood-temps always being a concern.

If you combine this with an Interchiller, you're unstoppable!
No doubt lol. I'm just speaking for myself. Then again I only track 1-2 times a year and never really had any issues with heat soak that would make any difference to me. If I was racing now that would be a whole other story.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #19
Auroraz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2012 335i  [0.00]
Hey RSXDC5,

I looked into them and I'm really liking the idea of getting the shields. I also looked into the option inconel, but that was way to expensive (mostly due to shipping)

Headershield gave me a rough estimate on a VRSF downpipe and after expenses plus shipping, it'd be worth around $1,252.77 or A1,735.88.

I also happen to come across this downpipe which I can order straight from AUS. The wrap is Inconel (not sure how much better or worse inconel is compared to headershield) and its got an internal ceramic lining. Also has flex pipe, not too sure if that's any better or worse than a dp without one.

https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...63cf3b70&_ss=r

Price for it is currently on special for 1,273.16/A1,769. Would this be the better option?

Honestly wasn't expecting to spend over 863/A1200 on downpipes, so is the performance gain worth spending the extra? For either the VRSF with Shield of this one from Mode.

Edit: Without the discounted price, then it starts to get into akra range and I'm 100% sure I'm not looking to spend that much. For comparison sake however, akra doesn't have a ceramic coating on the inside I believe, so would that make the MODE downpipes better than Akra?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #20
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hey RSXDC5,

I looked into them and I'm really liking the idea of getting the shields. I also looked into the option inconel, but that was way to expensive (mostly due to shipping)

Headershield gave me a rough estimate on a VRSF downpipe and after expenses plus shipping, it'd be worth around $1,252.77 or A1,735.88.

I also happen to come across this downpipe which I can order straight from AUS. The wrap is Inconel (not sure how much better or worse inconel is compared to headershield) and its got an internal ceramic lining. Also has flex pipe, not too sure if that's any better or worse than a dp without one.

https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...3b70&_ss=r

Price for it is currently on special for 1,273.16/A1,769. Would this be the better option?

Honestly wasn't expecting to spend over 863/A1200 on downpipes, so is the performance gain worth spending the extra? For either the VRSF with Shield of this one from Mode.

Edit: Without the discounted price, then it starts to get into akra range and I'm 100% sure I'm not looking to spend that much. For comparison sake however, akra doesn't have a ceramic coating on the inside I believe, so would that make the MODE downpipes better than Akra?
I would personally do it (VRSF + HeaderShield), if you want the best in heat reduction. The other option is nice but not nearly as good