BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I tried searching but couldn't find anything on point. I just picked up a '18 f80 zcp. I also have a '16 f80 (non-zcp). I'm surprised why in sports plus the auto rev match is not disabled like my old f80? Is there some other setting to disable auto rev-match in zcp or will it get turned off after the 1200 mile service?

Separately, i drove both cars back 2 back in all sports plus settings on the same roads. Noticed a few things (in no order of importance):
1. ZCP suspension is much more composed over bumps. There is harshness in the old car's suspension that is not there in zcp. the difference to me is noticeable and a positive update.
2. Autorev match (see comment above) :
3. Seats - love the new seats. The side bolsters feel more supportive than the non zcp seats. Seats are quite comfortable.
4. Zcp sits a bit taller than the non zcp. At least about 0.5 inch based on a couple quick measurements.this may mostly be due to 666 v 437). Assuming springs may settle a bit too. I want to take more precise measurements when i get some time.
5. Exhaust - have mpe on both. I like the initial startup bark on the zcp. As someone previously posted the valves open for a second and then close again on startup that causes the initial bark. Like that a lot. The constant burbles as you let off the gas while driving...not quite sure about those yet. May take some getting used to. I think they may be more pronounced with mpe. MPE needs to be broken in so i'm sure sounds going to change.
6. Throttle - does not seem to be as abrupt in sports plus and felt easier to modulate (see below point as this may change)
7. The car does not feel as rev happy as the older one. Have not taken it past 4K but the old one feels eager to rev in sports plus. Im thinking this may be because the engine only has 40 miles and needs to be broken in.

Overall quite a positive experience and enjoying the '18. Feels more polished over the '16. Both great cars regardless.

Btw - i had asked the dealer to check for steel vs CFRP drive shaft. They said they would need to remove the panels underneath to confirm so they did not. Will have to get under the car myself as i understand from others you can still see.

8/27 Update: drove the car with traction off and auto-rev match gets disabled in all three engine/throttle modes!
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      08-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Rev match should be disabled in Sport+. If truly not probably need to have the dealer take a look.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
M3BeamerVroom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Azurite Black

Thanks for sharing. Was debating on updating 16 f80 for 18 zcp.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BeamerVroom View Post
Thanks for sharing. Was debating on updating 16 f80 for 18 zcp.
I just traded my '15 DCT F82 for a '18 6MT F80 ZCP - on the test drive I was sure to check the rev matching in all three throttle modes and I had clear rev matching in Efficiency and Sport modes, but it did not activate in Sport + mode.

I was totally not planning to buy a manual transmission when I walked into the dealer (or an F80, for that matter), but they had a Laguna Seca Blue, fully optioned M3 ZCP there and it looked awesome. I was curious about the 6MT having switched to auto (335) and DCT (F82) back in '11, so I gave it a spin. I was really impressed how good it felt and how engaging a manual really is. The last manual I drove was a test drive in a '67 MGB GT. Needless to say, this was much more refined. ;-)

Can't wait to pick up the M3 on Tuesday.
Appreciate 4
NickyC17484.50
minn1914037.50
seis-speed2430.50
shay2nak1070.00
      08-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Good stuff. I'm 700 miles into my F80Z 6MT and haven't been this thrilled about the sheer joy of driving since I was in my 20s (early 40s now). This thing is off the hook good.

Some additional points:

1 - rev match is absolutely non-functional in Sports+... I don't *think* this is configurable. I can't stand the rev match or the laggy throttle in the lower modes so I drive it in Sports+ exclusively.

2 - I don't have experience in the non-ZCP cars other than brief test drives but I will say that the ZCP once broken in pulls and revs quite hard. It pulls HARD to 6.5k rpm, then sorta flattens out to 7k and then drops off sharply. I've noticed the motor really loosen up after a few hundred miles and the power had increased notably as well.

3 - I agree on the burbles. I actually don't like them as they detract from the polished elegance of the car. If I were a younger man I'd love them but could live without them now. This is a minor nitpick, though.

4 - I was initially set on the DCT as after a couple 6MT test drives I was very turned off by how laggy the motor felt. The reality is that I didn't understand A) how dramatically the throttle settings affect lag/response, and B) how the S55 really wants to be driven. Now that I've figured all of this out I'm THRILLED with the manual. Sure, it's not as efficient, effective or as fast as the DCT, but it's a DAMN good shifting trans and the gear ratios are well suited to the S55's broad torque curve.

Last edited by EricSMG; 08-26-2018 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      08-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post

Some additional points:

2 - I don't have experience in the non-ZCP cars other than brief test drives but I will say that the ZCP once broken in pulls and revs quite hard. It pulls HARD to 6.5k rpm, then sorta flattens out to 7k and then drops off sharply. I've noticed the motor really loosen up after a few hundred miles and the power had increased notably as well.

3 - I agree on the burbles. I actually don't like them as they detract from the polished elegance of the car. If I were a younger man I'd love them but could live without them now. This is a minor nitpick, though.
The burbles put a giant, shit-eating-grin on my face when I heard them. The '15 non-zcp exhaust was quite tame in comparison. My test drive was pretty calm as I didn't want to beat on it, but yes, the S55 has gobs of power when you dig in. I'm really looking forward to the post break-in driving.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      08-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Remington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG M8 Competition

Thanks for your post, good info. I'm turning in my 2016 non-ZCP 6MT for a 2019 ZCP 6MT in January. Looking forward to it.....

Last edited by Remington; 08-26-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Congratulations!

I sure hope M didn't make rev-match standard in all modes expect DSC off (which is apparently how the M2C is coded)...

At first I thought there is no way M would do this, but yours is the second time I have read this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=293

(I still am hoping that future M models have a toggle for rev-match independent of the engine throttle mode.)
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Congratulations!

I sure hope M didn't make rev-match standard in all modes expect DSC off (which is apparently how the M2C is coded)...

At first I thought there is no way M would do this, but yours is the second time I have read this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=293

(I still am hoping that future M models have a toggle for rev-match independent of the engine throttle mode.)
Thanks for pointing out the other post. I may start a survey soon to see experiences of MY18 6MT owners if i cant get to the bottom of this. I'm going to check the owners manual later tonight and check with DSC off tomorrow. I hope bmw didnt screw this up. I drive my '16 f80 exclusively in sports plus so i can heel toe.

Quote:
Congratulations!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
Quote:
Congratulations!

At first I thought there is no way M would do this, but yours is the second time I have read this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=293

Thanks for pointing out the other post. I may start a survey soon to see experiences of MY18 6MT owners if i cant get to the bottom of this. I'm going to check the owners manual later tonight and check with DSC off tomorrow. I hope bmw didnt screw this up. I drive my '16 f80 exclusively in sports plus so i can heel toe.

Quote:
Congratulations!

At first I thought there is no way M would do this, but yours is the second time I have read this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=293

I have a ZCP '18. No auto rev match in sports +. Mine is a May '18 build.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #11
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the other post. I may start a survey soon to see experiences of MY18 6MT owners if i cant get to the bottom of this. I'm going to check the owners manual later tonight and check with DSC off tomorrow. I hope bmw didnt screw this up. I drive my '16 f80 exclusively in sports plus so i can heel and toe
I just took a look at the owner's manual for the MY18 F80 and there nothing that ties DSC to the Engine Dynamics. You should be able to have Sport + (with no rev matching) and DSC fully on or off, or MDM. I can't test until Tuesday.

Speaking of the owner's manual- I couldn't find any information about rev matching. I searched all kinds of terms, but didn't see anything. Can someone tell me how to find it?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I take delivery tomorrow. Looking forward to chiming in. BTW, I saw the car up on a lift on Sat. when lip / splitters were being installed at the dealer before delivery and I could not see the drive shaft.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
I just took a look at the owner's manual for the MY18 F80 and there nothing that ties DSC to the Engine Dynamics. You should be able to have Sport + (with no rev matching) and DSC fully on or off, or MDM. I can't test until Tuesday.
Correct, at least for mine. The DSC has nothing to do with the (lack of) rev match in Sports+.

This is bizarre that the OP's car is rev matching in Sports+. There must be something to this.... an option or setting somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

ZCP with 18 June 2018 build date. No rev-match on Sports+.

Put me down for the burbles not doing anything for me, but they are also not as annoying as I thought they would be.

1500 miles (1430 in Europe) and it ha been flawless.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. the build date is very helpful. Mine is a 7/21/2018 build date. I tried with MDM this morning on way to work and auto-rev match was still enabled in sports plus. I'm going to try and find out thru service if there was a software change/update starting July....very strange. On a positive note, ZCP is amazing when it comes to how composed the car is relative to my '16 non-ZCP. The suspension tweaks are definitely noticeable. the ride is still stiff, but it absorbs the bumps so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
ZCP with 18 June 2018 build date. No rev-match on Sports+.

Put me down for the burbles not doing anything for me, but they are also not as annoying as I thought they would be.

1500 miles (1430 in Europe) and it ha been flawless.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #16
viva_brasil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 30 Jahre 6MT

Quote:
Thanks. the build date is very helpful. Mine is a 7/21/2018 build date. I tried with MDM this morning on way to work and auto-rev match was still enabled in sports plus. I'm going to try and find out thru service if there was a software change/update starting July....very strange. On a positive note, ZCP is amazing when it comes to how composed the car is relative to my '16 non-ZCP. The suspension tweaks are definitely noticeable. the ride is still stiff, but it absorbs the bumps so much better.
Can you try turning traction control off completely and see if it still rev matches in sport+ or all modes still?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
Quote:
Can you try turning traction control off completely and see if it still rev matches in sport+ or all modes still?
Rev match should be off in Sport+ in all traction modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
eRocks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 AW/MT/ZCP

Quote:
I tried searching but couldn't find anything on point. I just picked up a '18 f80 zcp. I also have a '16 f80 (non-zcp). I'm surprised why in sports plus the auto rev match is not disabled like my old f80? Is there some other setting to disable auto rev-match in zcp or will it get turned off after the 1200 mile service?

Separately, i drove both cars back 2 back in all sports plus settings on the same roads. Noticed a few things (in no order of importance):
1. ZCP suspension is much more composed over bumps. There is harshness in the old car's suspension that is not there in zcp. the difference to me is noticeable and a positive update.
2. Autorev match (see comment above) :
3. Seats - love the new seats. The side bolsters feel more supportive than the non zcp seats. Seats are quite comfortable.
4. Zcp sits a bit taller than the non zcp. At least about 0.5 inch based on a couple quick measurements.this may mostly be due to 666 v 437). Assuming springs may settle a bit too. I want to take more precise measurements when i get some time.
5. Exhaust - have mpe on both. I like the initial startup bark on the zcp. As someone previously posted the valves open for a second and then close again on startup that causes the initial bark. Like that a lot. The constant burbles as you let off the gas while driving...not quite sure about those yet. May take some getting used to. I think they may be more pronounced with mpe. MPE needs to be broken in so i'm sure sounds going to change.
6. Throttle - does not seem to be as abrupt in sports plus and felt easier to modulate (see below point as this may change)
7. The car does not feel as rev happy as the older one. Have not taken it past 4K but the old one feels eager to rev in sports plus. Im thinking this may be because the engine only has 40 miles and needs to be broken in.

Overall quite a positive experience and enjoying the '18. Feels more polished over the '16. Both great cars regardless.

Btw - i had asked the dealer to check for steel vs CFRP drive shaft. They said they would need to remove the panels underneath to confirm so they did not. Will have to get under the car myself as i understand from others you can still see.

Unfortunately, I don't have my car as the dealer put a nice pinky nail size paint chip in the trunk lid and I refused delivery. I did test drive it while inspecting it though and can confirm that it was auto rev-matching in Sport+. It is a July'18 build date, non-ZCP. There must have been a software update starting in the July builds. The 'BMW Genius' guy also said he couldn't figure out why it was doing it as he was convinced (like I was) that it would be disabled in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #19
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep

sorry to hear about the issue. are you having them fix it or look for another car?

Thank you for looking into the issue. with two July builds having auto-rev engaged in sports plus tells me they've changed the programming (like you said). Only time will tell if it comes back on after 1200 mile service. i have asked service to look into it. let's see. good luck with resolving the paint correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRocks View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have my car as the dealer put a nice pinky nail size paint chip in the trunk lid and I refused delivery. I did test drive it while inspecting it though and can confirm that it was auto rev-matching in Sport+. It is a July'18 build date, non-ZCP. There must have been a software update starting in the July builds. The 'BMW Genius' guy also said he couldn't figure out why it was doing it as he was convinced (like I was) that it would be disabled in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
sorry to hear about the issue. are you having them fix it or look for another car?

Thank you for looking into the issue. with two July builds having auto-rev engaged in sports plus tells me they've changed the programming (like you said). Only time will tell if it comes back on after 1200 mile service. i have asked service to look into it. let's see. good luck with resolving the paint correction.
Wow, I hope you can turn that off as that would be a massive turn off if not, at least in my opinion.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      08-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Agreed; if it's unable to be disabled I doubt I would've even gone through with getting it.
      08-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
Agreed; if it's unable to be disabled I doubt I would've even gone through with getting it.
Yea should just get a DCT at that point.
Appreciate 0