European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
TrauCon
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AlpineWhite

My paint is only 1mil thick?

So I got curious as to what thickness the pain is on ours. Granted I didn't get a hundred of dollars measurer, but I thought even though with the one I have the paint thickness reading would be consisten between all panels.

For the front fenders and the hood, the reading is a lot higher than the rest of the car. I know they are different material as magnets don't stick to them, but does anyone have any experience with it? Even for the door, the reading is 1 mil, about 25 microns, which is extremly thin. I dont think that is right.

My car is ceramic coated. Maybe that messed up the reading?

Any input is much appreciated.

Last edited by TrauCon; 09-24-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

All that I can contribute to this thread is that the BMW clear coat is one of the worst in the auto industry. I wish our cars got painted by Benz.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Mine varied between 150 and 200 microns I believe depending on the panel. IDK if individual paint is painted differently but the doors were in the 150s and the fenders were higher.

Ceramic coating is generally a very small difference. Like 5 to 10 microns.
Appreciate 1
GregM41317.00
      09-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

New or used? How many times has it been polished?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Have you tried that tester on anything else or another tester on your car?
      09-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

Would explain why my front bumper gets paint chips from bugs and flies @ 100mph.

Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
All that I can contribute to this thread is that the BMW clear coat is one of the worst in the auto industry. I wish our cars got painted by Benz.

and where did you get this info from? BMW paint is fine. MB is no better/worse.

All share the common orange peel issues etc.

You want perfect paint, buy a Rolls Royce, or Bentley.

different panels may have different readings (your vertical panels for example vs horizontal ones) no biggie.

Are you trying to figure out if your car has had paintwork?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTScapes View Post
New or used? How many times has it been polished?

you'd probably have to polish your car 4x a week with a wool pad to actually do damage. lol. Polisher takes off next to nothing.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      09-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
HMM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

After coating my wife's MDX and then my M3, I definitely believe Acura puts on a better paint job.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
My coworker has a 2019 C63S, same complaints about orange peel and how easy the paint chips. I asked him why he didn't put PPF and he said that he doesn't like seams. Comparing my 2019 BMW M4 to his C63S, my M4's paint has less orange peel than his car.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:37 AM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post
After coating my wife's MDX and then my M3, I definitely believe Acura puts on a better paint job.
Honda is notorious for paint quality. One of the worst in the industry.
      09-25-2019, 01:47 AM   #12
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

did you calibrate the paint depth gauge before using it?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #13
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you'd probably have to polish your car 4x a week with a wool pad to actually do damage. lol. Polisher takes off next to nothing.
Depends on the amount of correction necessary. Also people definitely can burn through clear by being overly aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #14
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

different panels may have different readings (your vertical panels for example vs horizontal ones) no biggie.

I've had a few models of both over the years. I have to put 50x the effort to keep my BMW looking the way I like.

It's not orange peel. The quality of Mercedes paint is light years ahead of BMW. My BMWs clear coat after 1 month of daily driving looks like my old MBs after 2 years. Ask any body shop about how bad BMW clear coat is.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
TrauCon
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AlpineWhite

Got this car since new, polished 1 time prior to the ceramic coating.
I am not trying to find if it has been repainted or not since I know it is in perfect condition. It is just me curious on the paint thickness.

So I tested it on few other BMW and all came out to 1 or 2 mil, on my wife's MDX it gave 3s, which proved that my tester is a junk. Sorry for wasting your time here, but it is good to see your opinions about BMW's paint compared to others. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

We have both MB & BMW in my house and I can say the MB paint is definitely harder/thicker coat than BMW. I have also had issues with my first M3 that had less than adequate paint. So little that BMW recognized this and built me a new M3 with same specs to replace the original M3 I purchased. No issues since.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I've had a few models of both over the years. I have to put 50x the effort to keep my BMW looking the way I like.

It's not orange peel. The quality of Mercedes paint is light years ahead of BMW. My BMWs clear coat after 1 month of daily driving looks like my old MBs after 2 years. Ask any body shop about how bad BMW clear coat is.

ok, i'm only speaking because i actually paint cars for a living....

You guys can say what you want, the difference is negligble. I've sanded both, repainted both, corrected both, all relatively the same to me. As i said before, you want the good paint, step up to Bentely. lol

For me, just from a visual perspective, the worse clear has to be Mazda. Goodness gracious, absolutely terrible.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, i'm only speaking because i actually paint cars for a living....

You guys can say what you want, the difference is negligble. I've sanded both, repainted both, corrected both, all relatively the same to me. As i said before, you want the good paint, step up to Bentely. lol

For me, just from a visual perspective, the worse clear has to be Mazda. Goodness gracious, absolutely terrible.
Not claiming to be a paint expert but you're the first person from that background I've ever heard say that. Not saying you're full of shit either just never heard anyone say that before.

Difference has been huge in my experience of appearance, upkeep and resilience.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Not claiming to be a paint expert but you're the first person from that background I've ever heard say that. Not saying you're full of shit either just never heard anyone say that before.

Difference has been huge in my experience of appearance, upkeep and resilience.
+1. Before trading my S4 in on this M3, I was warned extensively from a guy I've trusted for paint work on a lot of previous cars. Knowing how anal I can be, he told me I'd be pulling my hair out trying to keep the M3 paint looking nearly as good as the S4, and my STI before that. Both required very little effort.

At just 11k miles on the odometer, I can say he was absolutely right. My front bumper looks like it's seen 4 winters and the clear coat shows new notable scratches after just about every drive. I drove my S4 for over 50k miles over 5 years and it didn't look nearly this beat up when I traded it in.

Regardless, PPF was definitely the way to go from the start, which I failed to do.

Last edited by DadVibes; 09-26-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
NYG10742.50
      09-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #20
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
+1. Before trading my S4 in on this M3, I was warned extensively from a guy I've trusted for paint work on a lot of previous cars. Knowing how anal I can be, he told me I'd be pulling my hair out trying to keep the M3 paint looking nearly as good as the S4, and my STI before that. Both required very little effort.

At just 11k miles on the odometer, I can say he was absolutely right. My front bumper looks like it's seen 4 winters and the clear coat shows new notable scratches after just about every drive. I drove my S4 for over 50k miles over 5 years and it didn't look nearly this beat up when I traded it in.

Regardless, PPF was definitely the way to go from the start, which I failed to do.
Absolutely no way BMW paint is worse than Subaru.

My old WRX's paint felt like it was watercolors with a thin layer of wax on top.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Absolutely no way BMW paint is worse than Subaru.

My old WRX's paint felt like it was watercolors with a thin layer of wax on top.
It’s no worse than Audi either IMO. Between my wife and I we’ve has an S4, A6 and 2 Q5s. Paint seems about the same to be - neither better nor worse.
      09-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
It’s no worse than Audi either IMO. Between my wife and I we’ve has an S4, A6 and 2 Q5s. Paint seems about the same to be - neither better nor worse.
I think a lot of it comes down to the car color, as well. This time around I went with a dark grey, while my last two cars were a lighter blue and white. The grey does hide rock chips better but seems to show significantly more light scratches. While I'm not usually a fan of just plain silver cars, I'm starting to think that would be the best all-around color choice.