European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-08-2022, 11:12 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Replica KMP DCT Steering Wheel Project

I wanted to share my progress on building a replica of the KKP wheel as I REFUSED to spend $2500 on a damn steering wheel... Haha.

So far I have the paddles shifting properly and now the hard part begins of rewiring MFB to control M1/2 buttons with the custom buttons (I'm 99% sure I'll just need to code out of the airbag but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far!)

The parts list:
- OMP Targa wheel
- KMP F8X Adapter
- SLG Paddle Bracket / Shifters
- Fleabay Buttons (to be replaced)
- OEM electric pins for paddle and M1/2 wiring

Hoping to get this installed in the next few weeks, fingers crossed I can get past the MFB harness
Attached Images

03-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

This is awesome! Coming from other cars, 2k+ on a 330mm wheel is hard to justify. I have a 6MT and don't need paddles, and part of me wouldn't even mind not having the M buttons. Wonder what's the cheapest way to accomplish this.

Were you able to order the KMP hub directly through KMP? If so, how much if you don't mind? I spoke to a vendor about ordering it separately, and they told me they don't do that. A cost-effective alternative to KMP that I've seen is M Track.
      03-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
This is awesome! Coming from other cars, 2k+ on a 330mm wheel is hard to justify. I have a 6MT and don't need paddles, and part of me wouldn't even mind not having the M buttons. Wonder what's the cheapest way to accomplish this.

Were you able to order the KMP hub directly through KMP? If so, how much if you don't mind? I spoke to a vendor about ordering it separately, and they told me they don't do that. A cost-effective alternative to KMP that I've seen is M Track.
Oh that's a cool alternative, I'm currently into for the following amount:
- OMP wheel $200
- Paddles/Bracket $300
- KMP Adapter $150

I was able to order the KMP adapter from BW but it seems to be different than the one they use for the prebuilt wheel. I'm hoping to find a cover for the hub for aesthetics but that's not my main concern right now
      03-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:

- OMP wheel $200
- Paddles/Bracket $300
- KMP Adapter $150

I was able to order the KMP adapter from BW but it seems to be different than the one they use for the prebuilt wheel. I'm hoping to find a cover for the hub for aesthetics but that's not my main concern right now
Wow that's an awesome price for the hub. I'm going to give them a call! I want to gather pricing and confirm you can code out any errors related to airbags/buttons being deleted.

What's funny is I just received a custom carbon wheel to put on cause I decided KMP wasn't worth it.
      03-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Prices for parts for the f80 are absolutely insane. It’s se easy to spend $10,000 - $15,000 on these cars and barely scratch the surface. I fully support your diy wheel. It looks great and only costs a fraction of the kmp. Our cars need more affordable mods like these.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 11:45 PM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:

- OMP wheel $200
- Paddles/Bracket $300
- KMP Adapter $150

Wow that's an awesome price for the hub. I'm going to give them a call! I want to gather pricing and confirm you can code out any errors related to airbags/buttons being deleted.

What's funny is I just received a custom carbon wheel to put on cause I decided KMP wasn't worth it.
Yeah I considered going with the M-Performance Wheel but my biggest issue I'm having is hitting the M buttons on track with my palms in tight radius turns and changing settings.

My car is about 50/50 track vs street so I'm fine without cruise control or media controls.

I'll keep y'all updated, have a few DIY projects in progress... so far I'm happy with my DIY splitter that was $225 ($2k less than the GT4 replica option) and this steering wheel saving me another $1,700 to help out my tire fund haha

Now it's just time to add-lightness, really wish the GT4 door cards fit but being "frugal" I'm starting to learn to lay/cure fiber so that I can mold my own.