EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

IND’s M4: testing and validation at AutoBahn race track.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

As many BimmerPost readers know, IND Distribution and Fall Line Motorsports have been cooperating to push the envelope of what’s possible with F8x M chassis street cars, nearly as soon as the cars arrived in the United States. Our goal is to maintain the everyday driving comfort of these incredible cars, while improving not only the ability of an M3 or M4 to generate an excellent lap time, but also the car’s ability to be an easy to drive, forgiving car on the track. It is this second element that is especially critical, in creating the components we will choose to offer and manufacture- tuning our suspension appropriately to create a car that can be safely used by drivers of multiple skill levels.

The development of Fall Line’s suspension components can be tracked by following the below link:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1132585

Last week, we started what will be a series of on-track tests of the components we’ve installed to gather basic information about the car’s behavior, alignment settings, and braking performance. Steve Jenkins would help us to test the car. Steve has been a professional racing driver for a decade, with over 25 starts in Grand Am, 30 first place finishes in SCCA National level competition, and a myriad of other successes in racing of all types. Steve’s racing experience is invaluable, and will help us to develop and fine tune the car and it’s components over time.

I was thrilled to be able to finally directly test the components that our partners and I have been developing for so long. From our conversations with BBS Motorsport two years ago about the FI-R, it’s spec, and it’s sizing for the M4, to our near-daily visits to Fall Line Motorsports, we would now get to see all of the components in action.

We started by preparing the car, at IND. Steve is an experienced driver with countless laps around AutoBahn’s south course, so we chose to prepare the braking system accordingly.

We changed pads to the currently in development RE10 endurance compound, and added Brembo’s stellar HTC 64 fluid. Because this is a true motorsport-grade fluid with a unique chemistry, a full bleed was necessary to maximize its advantages.

Caliper temperature stickers were applied, to allow us to easily monitor caliper operating temperatures.

We also applied temperature sensitive paint to the brake rotors, to determine how hot the discs would get with the new RE10 pads in place. The green paint flashes at 430 degrees Celsius (800 degrees Fahrenheit), while the red paint flashes at 630 degrees Celcius (1,166 degrees Fahrenheit).

Finally, after a bit of prep, we found ourselves with Steve Jenkins at Fall Line’s on-site AutoBahn garage. Their facility at AutoBahn Country Club stores client’s race cars directly at the track, and has two full time techs that can service anything that a race car may need during an event.

After discussing the car and it’s setup a bit, Steve suited up and prepared to give our M4 a try.

We had also changed rear sections from the Eisenmann Heritage rear section most know and love to the Eisenmann GT4 rear section. This exhaust was developed specifically for use in homologated motorsport in Germany, and is a no-frills means of getting exhaust sound to the rear of the car. While the homologated version requires catalytic converters at the rear of the car (just ahead of the tips), we opted for a catless version which emits an absolutely menacing growl. It was this sound that created an absolutely palpable excitement as our M4 pulled up to AutoBahn’s grid.

I was eagerly awaiting Steve’s impressions on the car, as I watched him expertly maneuver it around the South Course.

Whenever our conversation would shift to the car’s suspension, the word of the day was “compliant”. On one end of the equation, the spherical bearings we’ve installed have eliminated unwanted geometry change from the system, helping for the suspension arms to move through their range of travel without rubber bushings flexing unexpectedly. The reduced toe change under braking, and in turn in, helps the driver to more precisely understand what the car is doing, and grants the car a more predictable nature.

The other end of the equation of course lands on the car’s JRZ dampers. Not only are the spring rates reasonable enough to provide excellent compliance over AutoBahn’s surface imperfections and irregularities, but the JRZ dampers themselves are excellently valved. In harmony, the springs, dampers, and suspension bearings create a car that is at once responsive and forgiving. Steve and I both had an opportunity to drive the car on the South course, and both found that we could easily drive the car at apex curbs that are normally an absolute “do not approach” in other cars. Where other cars (M cars included) would get upset, lose traction, and give the driver a reason to correct at least and a true scare at worst, this M4 would simply soak up the curb and continue along the course, flat out.

Although only two sessions were available to us that day, we felt that we had gathered some valuable information about the M4 as it is set now, and will work to expand our knowledge in the future.

Between sessions Steve was able to give feedback on the car’s handling and braking, and I had an opportunity to measure tire temps as well as brake rotor temps.

Upon pulling the M4 back into Fall Line’s garage, we were able to remove the wheels and check the rotor paint we had applied earlier. We found that both the green and red paint had flashed on the front rotors, but not all the way through into the rotor vanes. We also found that the red paint had not flashed on the rear rotors.

We are very grateful to our partners at BBS, Brembo, JRZ, and Fall Line Motorsports for not only working with IND to design and spec these components, but also for allowing us to use their parts as they should be- on a road course, where the M4 truly shines. We are grateful to Steve Jenkins and Fall Line Motorsports for their continued support, and we are of course grateful to the BimmerPost audience for giving us a reason to do these things! Please stay tuned as we continue to pursue the best street and track M4 possible.

Conclusions:

Suspension:
The M4, like any street car, is set up to understeer from the factory. A fast driver can overheat the front tires, and must be mindful to not overdrive the car at the tail end of a 20+ minute session. This setup is good for a beginner to intermediate driver, but a more advanced driver may prefer a more neutral car, depending on driving style.

The car is balanced from a spring rate standpoint, and my opinion is that most of the (very mild) understeer that we did experience can be tuned out by simply adjusting tire pressure to taste. This will of course depend on driving style, track conditions, which course the car is at, and so on.

The JRZ dampers are incredibly compliant, and yield a car that is literally nearly impossible to upset with road irregularities. The dampers (when valved to Fall Line spec) are excellently valved and constructed, and generate enormous mechanical grip.

Some drivers may elect to install slightly higher rate springs then what comes with the kit, depending on the course they’re driving. The spring rates provided with the kit as standard (in JRZ/Fall Line spec) are phenomenally comfortable for street driving, and are ideal for a road course with bumps and irregularities. Beginner and intermediate drivers should use the as-provided rates, while more advanced drivers may go higher in spring rate on a smooth road course.

Based on the tire temperatures I took at the track (posted below), the camber settings we are using are healthy for these tires, this spring rate, and this car. Our tire temps suggest a potentially less than ideal cross weight, which will be checked next time the car is aligned.

The FI-R wheels have of course proven their mettle, and have once again shown that BBS Motorsport is second to none. Their incredibly low weight contributes to an overall low unsprung mass. The wheels themselves have not shown signs of wear or bending after three separate track outings, and I expect that they will last for many years to come, even with heavy use.

Brakes:
According to our rotor paint, the brake disc surface temperatures are reaching 630 degrees Celsius (1,166 F) and higher, which is hot. This speaks to the increased brake demand of the M4 that has been rumored in BMW Motorsport circles. The M4 can generate a fantastic amount of mechanical grip (especially with sports tires like our AD08R installed), is very well balanced under braking, and the ABS system is particularly well designed for track use. These factors combine to create a car that generates enormous temperatures under braking, when piloted by a fast driver. We and the folks at Brembo expect that the temperatures would be even hotter with OE calipers and discs, which are not as well suited to dissipating these temperatures.

The paint inside the disc vanes has not yet completely flashed, which suggests that the vane is operating under 630 degrees. Based on the flashing of the green and red paint on the outside of the disc, we expect that the vanes are operating somewhere in the 550 degree Celsius range.

The pads are operating at a moderate to high temperature, which is expected for heavy track use with a fast driver. The RE10 pad is very stable at elevated temperatures, offering high bite and stable performance. We are confident that lesser friction materials not suitable for professional racing use would not work consistently at elevated temperatures.

Of course, any brake system is made whole when brake ducting is installed. We expect that as M3/M4 owners become more serious about driving their cars at road courses, they will want to install proper brake ducting to cool the front discs. At that point, we will look to develop a bolt-in kit.

Aero:
Steve commented that the rear of this car feels much more planted than the rear of his own F80 M3 above 120mph. We are confident that like the M3 GTS before it, the RKP wing on our own M4 is helping to improve the high speed stability of the car.

Car data:
2015 BMW M4

Performance modifications:
JRZ RS Two dampers with camber plates
550 lbs/in front springs
700 lbs/in rear springs

Fall Line Monoball conversion kit

Brembo GT kit, 380mm slotted discs

RE10 brake pads

Brembo Racing HTC 64 fluid

BBS FI-R wheels

Yokohama Advan AD08R tires
275/30/19 front
295/30/19 rear

Eisenmann downpipes

Eisenmann resonated center section

Eisenmann GT4 rear section

RKP front lip

RKP rear diffuser

RKP wing

Alignment:

Front:
Camber: -2.9 degrees

Toe: -.6mm (toe out)

Rear:
Camber: -2 degrees

Toe: 1.5mm (toe in)

Last edited by IND-Distribution; 07-20-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 9
      07-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Good info, i love that Rkp front lip
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Sweet video! Just sold me on the gt4.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

Thanks for the detail write up. This thread had me sold on RKP aero, looks so sick

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Cool. Would be nice to see some real telemetry and data from this session
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:19 AM   #6
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Downpipes with no tune? Are you guys planning on running some sort of engine management in the future with this project?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:25 AM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Love the suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Nate@IND
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
Downpipes with no tune? Are you guys planning on running some sort of engine management in the future with this project?

We plan on adding the ESS ECU flash next
      07-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Nate,
Are there any sports cats in the Eisenmann downpipes, or just catless ?, just a fabulous sound, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

picture are amazing and so is the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

exhaust sounds sick!!!
      07-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
Nate@IND
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Nate,
Are there any sports cats in the Eisenmann downpipes, or just catless ?, just a fabulous sound, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
The Eisenmann downpipes are catless. We are currently running the following-

Eisenmann catless downpipes
Eisenmann resonated center pipe
Eisenmann GT4 rear section

Very aggressive
      07-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #13
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

Awesome stuff, IND!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
BAL278
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi JB

amazing!

2008 335xi Jet Black//Coral Red
VTT Stage 1+// Procede V5//VRSF DPs//AMS FMIC//KW V1//M3 Sways & Sub Bushings// Alpina AT flash
Apex EC-7//Michelin PSS//Dinan CAI
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The M4 can generate a fantastic amount of mechanical grip (especially with sports tires like our AD08R installed) ...
I think the secret sauce just might be the Active M Differential.
Adjusting the rear torque split can and will affect how a car turns in and grips.
Just my 2 cents from what I've read about the M Diff.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Nice! The autobahn is practically in my backyard.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
is it just me, or does the M4 have very similiar body lines to the F32..........
      07-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
is it just me, or does the M4 have very similiar body lines to the F32..........
Never noticed.

/sarcastic
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #19
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
M4 design is based on the F32
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I really never looked at the car from the side before..always front..back..inside...so basically i just confirmed the obvious. Noob move. Apologies.
      07-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Absolutely incredible post IND!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #22
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States