Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BIMMERPOST Pebble Beach Recap: BMW M4 Concept Highlights, Reactions and Notes

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BIMMERPOST Pebble Beach Recap: BMW M4 Concept Highlights, Reactions and Notes
COMMENTS

As you've seen, we spent the latter half of last week at the Pebble Beach Automotive Week in Monterey, California, which is an annual week-long banquet of events for automobile enthusiasts and connoisseurs who converge on the Monterey area. While the collection of automotive hardware (everything from some of the most expensive classics to the latest model exotics) spotted around the Monterey peninsula was the largest and most impressive gathering we've ever witnessed, the highlight of the trip for us was having the first look at the BMW M4 Coupe Concept, which BMW unveiled at several events throughout the weekend. The following is a brief timeline, our personal reaction to the M4 Concept and some interesting notes on the M3/M4.

BMW Villa in Pebble Beach - Thursday, August 15

The official press conference for the unveiling of the M4 Concept at the BMW Villa where it was presented by BMW M CEO Dr. Friedrich Nitschke to select press (video and photos below).

The Quail Motorsports Gathering in Carmel - Friday, August 16

The M4 Concept was unveiled to the general press and the public (those who had tickets to the Quail Motorsports Gathering at The Quail) (photos below).

Laguna Seca - Saturday, August 17

The M4 Concept was on display in the BMW Paddock at the Laguna Seca race track during the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (video and photos below).

Name:  DSC02302.jpg
Views: 19472
Size:  96.6 KB

REACTIONS TO THE M4 CONCEPT

Southlight (Felix) and I were in attendance and were able to compare our impressions of the M4. Perhaps the most telling reaction we shared was that, as current and previous E90/E92 M3 owners, we would both consider the M4 as a worthy replacement when it comes to styling. The M4 remedies what I and many of our members consider to be the achilles heel of the 4 Series design - the front fascia. The M4's aggressive front bumper gives the 4 Series based front fascia a much sportier and menacing look. It features large aggressive air curtain vents like the 1M Coupe, as well as air breathers on the front fenders, both which add functionality and sporty touches to the M4's look. Like many of you, we feel that the M4's air breathers are styled and placed in a much more natural position than on the 4 Series - as part of the end of the side body lines which hook down, rather than floating somewhat randomly on the lower front fenders.

One of my favorite aspect of the M4's design are the lines which start from the hood bump, continue through the carbon fiber roof and end in two dart lines on the trunk. Others seem to agree, as this design element was one of the most complimented parts of the M4 that we overheard during the various private and public showings. We certainly hope this thoughtful design touch is retained for the production M4 (which spy photos suggest is the case).

Another favorite is the M3 CSL inspired trunk. The M4 Concept trunk is not as radically curved and lifted as the CSL trunk, but there's enough curvature and extension on it to give the rear a very sporty look. Judging by our member's reactions here, most of you agree.

The side mirrors are another of my favorite elements on the M4 Concept. It reminds me of the E9x M3's double-pronged mirrors, but with more flair and a more natural implementation. The top 'prong' (although it really isn't a prong anymore) has been stylized and becomes an extension of the mirror (as opposed to being part of the mirror base as on the E9x M3).

The biggest qualm I have with the M4's design is the styling of the lower rear bumper. It is a bit overstyled and busy. The lower rear bumper is flanked by vents which mirror the front bumper air curtain vents. And there are many other folds and lines on the rear lower bumper, in addition to the carbon fiber diffuser with fins and carbon fiber exhaust sleeves. Together, it's all just a tad too much. But, I've always thought that the rear on the 4 Series was one of its best aspects, not needing as much sporty design additions as the car's front end. Felix: I happen to like the styling of the rear. It fits well with the concept's overall design and I found the E92 M3's rear design to be too bland. What I do not like are the M stripes on the carbon fiber roof. But, these are unlikely to make production anyway.

That brings us to the M4's Aurum Dust color, which everyone and their grandmas are talking about, and which BIMMERPOST members have playfully called "radioactive fallout yellow," "hangover urine yellow" and the like. The M4's paint has everyone's attention, and that was BMW's goal. Rather than stick with a conventional BMW M concept color such as Chrome Shadow (which was used on the F10 M5 and E92 M3 Concepts) the powers that be at M decided to make a bolder statement with the M4's color.

It's a difficult color to capture properly on camera as you can see by the various tinges of yellow that the M4 takes on in our photos. Its appearance changes depending on lighting conditions. To my eyes, it's best described as a very metallic Phoenix Yellow (the launch color for the E46 M3) and like Phoenix Yellow, it does have some green hue to it. BMW M had considered a brighter yellow (more like Dakar Yellow), but went with an even bolder choice here. While it's not a color I would choose for my personal car, it's more attractive and flashy in person, and looks much better in flesh compared to the official press photos, which suffered from too much digital post-processing.

Will this Aurum Dust color make production? Not in this exact form and name, but expect a yellow color that's not too different, and as a standard option color. There will also be a standard green color option as BMW looks to expand the color palette for the M4.

Name:  DSC02284.jpg
Views: 24867
Size:  114.4 KB

MORE M4 NOTES

Coolest Elements: Lines running from hood dome to roof and to trunk. Brake ducts feeding air from front air intakes to cool brakes (photo). Side mirrors. CSL type trunk.

Specs: Many of you were hoping to learn technical specs from this reveal, but BMW purposely did not release any specs. Some technical details will be shared at the end of September, but some will not be revealed until around the time that the production M3 and M4 debuts in Detroit early next year. The purpose of showing the M4 this weekend was to reveal its styling and to preview a more colorful palette coming for the M4.

Interior/Engine: Why no photos of the interior and/or engine compartment? Because these were not open for photographing. And they may not have been very telling in any case.

M Performance Parts: We predict that some of the carbon fiber bits featured on the M4 Concept may become available as M Performance Parts for the M4 - i.e. front carbon fiber lip, rear carbon fiber diffuser and carbon fiber exhaust sleeves.

Where Next?: The M4 Coupe Concept will stay in Monterey for another reveal at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest on Tuesday, August 20 at 8PM Pacific Time [see live stream details]. It will not appear at the upcoming Frankfurt Show.

M3/M4 Timeline: The production M3 and M4 models will both have their debuts at the 2014 NAIAS in Detroit in January. Ordering will be available beginning in January-February and production begins in the March-May window. Expect deliveries by early Summer.

M3/M4 Price: Just because the M4 Concept looks expensive doesn't mean that the M3/M4 will be priced with a much higher premium than the outgoing E9x M3. BMW is trying its best to hold pricing close to the outgoing M3, albeit with adjustments made to reflect additional standard equipment that the F80 M3 and F82 M4 will feature. No promises here though.

As always, stay up to date on the latest BMW M3 and M4 news and features @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/m4/
And follow the latest details/info/spy pics compilation @ http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602770

BMW M4 Overview from Pebble Beach (with Interviews):

Laguna Seca Reveal in the BMW Paddock:

BMW M4 Concept Reveal B-Roll clips from BMW Villa (opening night press conference):

BMW M4 First Reveal at BMW Villa in Pebble Beach:

BMW M4 Coupe Concept

BMW M4 Coupe Concept Reveal - BMW Villa

BMW M4 Coupe Reveal at The Quail

BMW M4 Coupe on Display at Laguna Seca - BMW Paddock

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Very nice synopsis. I really like the M4! I am very happy to hear about BMW's attempts at keeping the price close to the E92 M3 and the potential to order some of the carbon fiber bits like the exhaust, diffuser, etc. I love my current M3, but I can't wait for the M4. What a nice design.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Can Jason or Scott26 comment About manuals in the US: even though they are offered as free option, get this, demand is so low that every car that BMW sends to dealerships, cars that are not pre allocated or ordered just cars to fill dealerships are DCT or ZF autos, only cars that are specifically ordered by customers to have a manual do so, I don't know why that is such a big deal to me, hell its 2013 you can't even get the new Porsche 911 GT3 with a manual *sigh* So will there be a manual M4? Or will they go the Porsche Route?
Manual will be available.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Good stuff. Looking forward to see what the "competition" wheels will look like. Certainly were better than the normal wheels on the e46 and e92s.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Cant wait for specs. Frankfurt!?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Cant wait for specs. Frankfurt!?
Sorry, but there'll be no news on the M4 (or M3) at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thank you both for the incredible coverage, it was the next best to being there. The new M4 is a winner. To your point it is a great compliment to and evolution of the E92. I will definitely be buying one of these in a couple years and will hold on to the E92 as well if I can afford both.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M
Thank you both for the incredible coverage, it was the next best to being there. The new M4 is a winner. To your point it is a great compliment to and evolution of the E92. I will definitely be buying one of these in a couple years and will hold on to the E92 as well if I can afford both.
Same thoughts here...
I will probably be on the market for a LCI ZCP MT M4. In the end of the day M4 (or M2?) are the only sports cars I am considering buying brand new. I can't wait to test drive one to convince me.

And btw thanks to Jason & Southlight
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

There's no doubt in my mind that this concept is a winner for me...how much will continue over on to production will remain to be seen.

But can someone clarify exactly when we'll find out the production specs? Including engine details? I'm so confused...
      08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Jason/southlight,

Thanks very much for all the coverage in Monterey. Very nicely done.

Question: What of the past mention by SCOTT for the possibility of the production M3/M4 being revealed in Tokyo sometime in December prior to Detroit? Is that officially not to happen?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Jason/southlight,

Thanks very much for all the coverage in Monterey. Very nicely done.

Question: What of the past mention by SCOTT for the possibility of the production M3/M4 being revealed in Tokyo sometime in December prior to Detroit? Is that officially not to happen?
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Glad you enjoyed the coverage and hope it was like being there at the reveal (virtually).

Production M3/M4 will make their debuts at Detroit and no earlier.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
But can someone clarify exactly when we'll find out the production specs? Including engine details? I'm so confused...
Some technical details will be shared in a few weeks time, and some will not be revealed until around the time that the production M3 and M4 debuts in Detroit.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
I have to admit, I personally liked the M stripes on the roof. I feel they added a nice subtle touch to the car.

My biggest complaint: The rear fenders. I was really hoping for some overly aggressive fenders like the spied M3. I understand that the 4 series is wider in general, but I was still hoping. I'll have to reserve final fender judgement until I see one in person.

Beyond that, toughest choice will be what color to choose.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
M4 is a winner! What a beauty!
      08-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy
I have to admit, I personally liked the M stripes on the roof. I feel they added a nice subtle touch to the car.
Agreed! Honestly I really liked them too...they weren't too bright; just enough to be seen.
      08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Quote:
Some technical details will be shared in a few weeks time, and some will not be revealed until around the time that the production M3 and M4 debuts in Detroit.
Thanks Jason!

Here are a few quick questions:

1.) when is the M3 concept being revealed?

2.) production M3/4 will be revealed at the Detroit motor show in January 2014? Or is it later?
      08-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Jason!

Here are a few quick questions:

1.) when is the M3 concept being revealed?

2.) production M3/4 will be revealed at the Detroit motor show in January 2014? Or is it later?
Hope you're fine with me answering:

1.) There will be no M3 Concept.

2.) Yep, production M3 and production M4 will be shown at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2014.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

I like the ///M tri-color stripes on the CF roof, I like it mostly because it is very subtle and to me shows attention to detail while adding a bit of flair and a coolness factor so to speak. However, I don't expect it to be included on the production car but I'm not surprised that the majority of people don't like.

I love the color of the concept car but that is because Phoenix Yellow is my favorite color on the e46 M3 followed by Laguna Seca Blue and Alpine White. I would love to find a bone stock 05 or 06 Phoenix Yellow M3 coupe with black leather fully loaded ZCP with 6MT and <20k miles
      08-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Production M3/M4 will make their debuts at Detroit and no earlier.
Thank's Jason. I look forward to seeing these beasts in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

"I think this M4 is the best M4 ever" lol.

ooo, M4 EVER would be a nice license plate
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Anyone feel like instead of actually putting CCB's on the car they roasted and cracked some old set of rotors? Lol. They look terrible in these photos
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Would like to know how the M4 looks IRL, I mean does it look big and stretched, or does it have a more muscular bulldog like stance?

It`s really hard to make a judgement on the previous pics.

The E92 M3 was already a big car, the M4 is even bigger, I would like to know opinions about this by people who did see the car IRL.

Thanks for reply !
Appreciate 0